Campag C Record Hub Cone/Race Removal

Cooker

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all,
I have a 1995 Campag Shamal wheelset and the rear Shamal has a pitted hub cone/race (non drive side). Anyone know how to remove the L/H hub cone? Is it a press fit?
Also, where can I get a new hub cone/race from to replace it?
Can I use a 2nd hand one in good condition or once its been pressed out you can't reuse one?
Anyone got one?
Cheers

Re: Campag C Record Hub Cone Removal

Not sure about the Shamal hub, is it a cartridge bearing? On a C-Record hub the race comes out as soon as the cone is removed and is easily replaced. The machined surface that the race rides on is an integral part of the hub meaning that if it is damaged you must replace the hub. Alternately you could just live with it, I have seen some pretty gnarled up hubs that still managed to run pretty smooth.

If the Shamal is a cartridge bearing then yes you can press it out.

Steven

No, it is not cartridge bearing, its loose balls. What I'm after is the part at the end of the hub that the balls sit on. The balls ride between the axle cone and the hub race. I'm after the hub race that sits at the end of the non drive side of the hub.
It looks like it may press out but I am unsure how to do it.
Cheers

From Memory if its an 8 speed Shamal with normal elbow type Spokes then it should be the same as a C-record 8 speed 32/36 hole cassette hub. But the 9 speed shamal used straight pull spokes & the hub is different. Strip the hub right down & evenly warm up the body of the hub (i use a electric paint stripper gun) on the side you want to change & tap out the cup Keep the body warmed up & refit the new cup (make sure its as cold as possible) so body hot cup cold just makes it easier to fit.
hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 09.59.09.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 09.59.09.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 516
  • Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 10.03.23.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 10.03.23.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 516
Do you know how to get the cap (with grease port) of that is in front of the race? Does that just tap out as well?
Cheers

Cooker":a68i14hy said:
Do you know how to get the cap (with grease port) of that is in front of the race? Does that just tap out as well?
Cheers

Remove the dustcaps by carefully prying them up with a screwdriver. ...
BUT BE VERY CAREFUL.

Cooker":uou48p5u said:
Ok thanks buddy. You have been a great help.

No worries.. Just take your time, its not rocket science.
Just do a Google search for the part numbers that you want. they will be available its just a case of finding them.

Back