1991 Saracen Trekker Hydrotech

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View

I collected this frame from Gravy Monster over a year ago and I've been gradually accumulating the parts for it since then.
Many other key parts including the brakes, wheels, bars and stem also came from James, and the rest came from a variety of other sources.

So this week I eventually found the time to get it all built up. It's pretty close to period and catalogue spec; my usual preferred option.
I went out and took some photographs today to share with the rest of the forum.

The Saracen Trekker Hydrotech has an oversize heat treated 7005 series aluminium frame and 'Super Max Drive' oversize cro-moly forks. It also has a 1 1/4 inch headset and oversized handlebars. The Magura Hydrostops came as standard and were a key feature of the 1991 Saracen Hydrotech range. It was specced with Shimano Deore LX components.
As with all the 91 bikes, Saracen focused on bright colour contrasts and decals. Limited edition black Shimano chainsets were also a nice touch. They all had very long stems too.

This one is in good condition considering it's well over 20 years old with a few cosmetic flaws, or as many prefer to call it, patina.

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-01.jpg

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-02.jpg

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-03.jpg

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-04.jpg

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-05.jpg

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-06.jpg

1 1/4 inch Deore XT headset

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-07.jpg

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-08.jpg

Super Max Drive forks and Magura Hydrostop barkes - fitted with Evo mounts rather than the originals

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-09.jpg

Looooong stem

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-10.jpg

Saracen oversize bars

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-11.jpg

Magura Hydrostop brake levers

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-12.jpg

Magura shifter mounts

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-13.jpg

Shimano Deore LX Rapidfire shifters and ODI Tomac Attack grips

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-14.jpg

Shimano Deore LX M550 rear mech

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-15.jpg

Shimano Deore LX M550 band on front mech

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-16.jpg

Limited edition black Shimano Deore LX M550 crankset

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-17.jpg

Shimano Deore LX pedals

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-18.jpg

Saracen cro-moly seatpost with Selle Italia Turbo saddle fitted

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-19.jpg

Saracen branded Kalloy seat QR

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-20.jpg

Shimano XT sharkfin

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-21.jpg

Shimano Deore LX M550 front and rear hubs

91_Trekker-Hydrotech-22.jpg

Saracen branded Wolber black anodised rims

And there you have it. Another day another Saracen.

I think this is in order... :cool:

Cool bike, and you also need sunglasses on to look at that paintjob :LOL:

I quite like this era of Saracen bikes, there weren't many manufacturers that specced the Magura's as standard equipment, I think that those that didn't missed a trick, they are great brakes.
Does it have standard canti-studs?

jimo746":29jrx63p said:
Does it have standard canti-studs?
Yes it does, but it also only has hose guides rather than cable stops. You could run cantis but you'd need a continuous run of cable outer for the rear, plus a cable stop attached to the seat QR at the back and a stem or fork mounted stop at the front.
Could of course use v-brakes but it just wouldn't be proper.

It is very bright, although it looks a little washed out in the photos. The green is a bit richer in real life.

Nice, :cool:

If you gonna run proper 'Man' pedals on her, drop me a pm with your postal address and I'll forward on some Saracen branded toeclips, complete with some tatty but useable straps.

RBG

Ah nice. I had one for a while, one of the only Saracen's I've passed on as space became an issue in my old house.

They ride nicely, stems came out same size as others but always felt longer on it then other bikes if that makes sense?

It's an amazing colour and decal combination. Magura's are just fab.

Can't be many others not in your possession that would be much different to what you have now? Perhaps a conquest or traverse e-stay?

coomber":1tpezk4y said:
Can't be many others not in your possession that would be much different to what you have now? Perhaps a conquest or traverse e-stay?

Yes, I certainly have many with subtle variations. I have got a 91 Trekker Competition Hydrotech frame which is the red/orange aluminium e-stay. I'm working on finding the right forks for it. Would've originally had Tange Switchblades or similar.
I'd also like to find a 91 Conquest with the silver e-stay frame and the Saracen branded Marzocchi Star forks.

I'm really drawn to the Saracens from the 80s. My Blizzard is just great and my 89 Tufftrax (which shall be photographed soon) is a minter.

Need to try and sort out the tatty old 86 Kili Flyer frameset. Long haul with all the parts I need to find. I'd also like a really early Conquest from 84 or 85.

Other than that I should really start looking for some of the titanium Kili Ultras from the 90s...

That's really nice - I'm a big Magura fan and I remember these coming out originally.

You do seem to have snapped up a "normal" size frame too, jammy git. ;-)

Nicely done Paul :cool: looks great and I'm glad you could make use of it and the bits, I must say I am jealous of the Saracen branded Q/R very nice touch !

Back