Campagnolo MTB - Anyone have much experience?

my Klein Attitude :

- Euclid brakeset : they are big but work fine. The levers are really more stiff than some exotic and lightweight machined levers (like grafton Re-Entry). They give the same feeling than Shimano BR M733.
- Euclid Thumbshifter : They are 6s with an hidden 7s. If you prefer them harder or smoother, you can adjust them. The main problem : the plastic parts got some little cracks and the grey cover become dirty after one use.
- Rear derailleur : It's not an Euclid but a Chorus A/B. But with Shimano ceramic Pulley, and a long time for adjusting it, it works on a Shimano 7s cog. The Shimano XT is better but like a suntour XC Pro, you need to overshift sometime. But it's works.
- Crankset : First I rode the Klein with an Euclid crankset. But it needed a very wide BB axe( 134mm !). It was stiff but a bit heavy. I swapped it by an Icarus, more lightweight. But it's not really period correct !

my Gary Fisher RS1

- Euclid brakeset : same as the Klein's. Front is cantilever, but rear is the Hope disc caliper
- Euclid Thumbshifter : They are 7s with an hidden 8s. They work fine with the rear Euclid derailleur and the campy original cogs. Campy was the first to sale a 8s transmission, and they made the specific rear hub for the RS1. A bit long for adjusting but quite precise with the suspension work.
- Crankset : First the RS1 got the Sugino Crankset. But I could swap for the Euclid Crankset. But I need to move the BB axe and to use another left arm (the axe needed to be more than 140mm !)

future project : my Yo Eddy…

Go on then, £50 for the Klein. Posted. Ok ok £75 but not a penny more!

Seriously though, both very nice.

I'm quite a Campag fan and use various mech's and shifters on all my bikes without problems.
Personally I'm not too keen on Euclid as it's very heavy and I hate the fugly brakelevers. Centaur and Olympus seemed to work slightly better too.
The later Record OR and Icarus stuff is superb and works as well if not better than Shimano IMHO.

Staying with the Attitude theme:

1993 with Record O.R

10582268223_6e77e77373_h.jpg

Very similar to post above; 1990 with Centaur and some Euclid.

I have a set of the Star Trek style Euclid levers, but unfortunately the MC1 bar has been cut down making it too short for the levers. I also have a Euclid crankset that will be installed at some stage. A recent bike purchase came with a very long titanium spindle, which maybe suitable.

10582259263_7a8650ea67_h.jpg

(XT front wheel is temporary ;))

I use a Campagnolo Euclid/Centaur Mtb regularly and I have to say it works great. Solid components and beautiful too.

IMGP1432.JPG

IMGP1449.JPG

IMGP1457.JPG

IMGP1445.JPG

IMGP1444.JPG

sansarret":36iolxg8 said:
I use a Campagnolo Euclid/Centaur Mtb regularly and I have to say it works great. Solid components and beautiful too.

IMGP1445.JPG

Nice find on the very rare Campag non bullet grips!

That's the first pic I've seen of them not in a catalogue. :D

Campag is like my 1966 Triumph motorbike,inherently rewarding to own,but some mechanical nous/sympathy is required and reliability is pretty much in the lap of the Gods.Go for Campag,seriously,its sooo lovely.

Back