What age do you class a bike as Retro

retro stared to tail of with the widespread use of thinwall, fat tube aluminum.... 96 proflex (ive got one) isnt retro, even covered in nice components, but a 98 de-kerf is retro.. :)

skinny steel to me is the epitomy of retro :) conjouring up up images of (for me) a time when i could ride forever, young dumb and fit! :D

so should we have a cut off point for ye old retro (bygone name) maybe phase 1 and phase 2 would be your modern rigs up two 2000.but then again what about ibis mountain goats making a come back.
thwang

ameybrook":3gdgrhcj said:
The "golden age" ended with downhilling. There's no better explanation.

eh? mountain biking STARTED with downhilling :) :LOL: nar, just joking.. I hear what ya saying ;)

ameybrook":2vqto01k said:
The "golden age" ended with downhilling. There's no better explanation.

thats exactly what I think, not that down hilling is a bad thing I must add.

Strange as how I wish I kept my 1st MTB, Puch Ranger....about 1983, used to do my paperround on it . 10 gears, cantilver brakes (which were cutting edge at that time!!) , then the local 'spoilt kid' got bought a Raleigh Maverick!! So my hard earned paper round money/pocket money for chores around home were saved to buy me my £300 Muddy fox courier in 84/85!! A mate bought a Specialized Hard Rock, which were a good bike then (not the bottom of range then).

I think the Golden age ended when some marketing guy , who realized that the market was saturated decided to invent new disciplines , such as Marathon , Freeride and Enduro .

It ended when an undisclosed individual on this very forum asked me if the Bontrager Composite-fork i was selling were made of carbon fiber.

:roll:

I have a composite frame which is not carbon fiber , and numerous tennis racquet too . :LOL:

v brakes... if your frame has v-brake compatible cable stops, i.e not designed for cantilever cable routing, then it ain't retro. Sorry.

Back