MacRetro chat and rides thread

clockworkgazz":27ve6fvd said:
no great plan really , just a bit bored and was always smitten with Mr K's planet X and a road bike seemed a good enough itch to scratch as any (especially given the great weather we have been having). That said seems our bike to work scheme is thru halfords so planet x are out of the equation baaaa. Think I can get any bike that is sold thru a bike shop so like proud edwards army , I'm off to think again (and no not even ever never no time or anytime ZZ will it be FAT, unless it is of the chance type :twisted: ).

lots of love for the Ti but carbon like 29ers seems to be the future if you put any credence in what the pro's are riding so....

The pros have pit crews and spare frames................wanna buy my 60cm Kuota?

:twisted:

it does seem quite popular to buy a boardman on the bike to work scheme then swap out the frame for one you like - if planet x have their usual sale in the next month or 2 then you should get one of their road frames and forks for around £300 on top

If no one puts any value on Boardman frames why are they not available on ebay at give away prices. Keep a boardman complete and celibrate the fact its a bloody good all round package.

Heard back from the 10UTB folks...

Haha!

Don't worry Aaron, a few people mentioned about riding retro bikes so Frazer opened up the category. I don't think anyone actually wants to ride a fully rigid bike with v brakes though, so I'm sure the category will disappear!

If you want to get dressed up in Retro gear though, please feel welcome!

Thanks for getting in touch,

Fiona.

On 28 October 2013 12:10, <info@nofussevents.co.uk> wrote:

This is a new enquiry sent from the website

Name: Aaron Zaczek
Email: aaron.zaczek@gmail.com
Enquiry: Ayup So what's this 'retro' category for 10UTB all about then? There's a few of us from retrobike.co.uk, Macretro section already signed up, and we're worried we'll have to actually ride a retro bike in an event. Cheers Aaron
Sent at: 28/10/2013 12:10:20

Errr ZZ, the 10 UTB I rode was on a fully rigid bike with canti's and I was perfectly happy. We're not actually worried, some of us might choose to ride rigid.
If our AEC suggests to the greater mtb community that retrobikers dont actually want to ride retrobikes it seems a bit off message to me :|

velomaniac":1t7nowrr said:
Errr ZZ, the 10 UTB I rode was on a fully rigid bike with canti's and I was perfectly happy. We're not actually worried, some of us might choose to ride rigid.
If our AEC suggests to the greater mtb community that retrobikers dont actually want to ride retrobikes it seems a bit off message to me :|

I huf to agree with V! :shock: For once in ma puff I'll be retro through and through! Though I might take the Yo with the front sus of course :oops:

kaiser":vk5kgb3q said:
If its through Halfords then (and your not bothered about the name on the downtube) then the Boredman bikes get good value press.

I'm another one who agrees with K . Great reviews and top spec for the money.

Who cares what it says on the side ? People were looking down their noses at the budget Decathlon Tribans a year ago but now , due to excellent reviews and great spec for the price they are well regarded and sell loads. Its all snobbery ...

Well just to shoot myself in the foot, I bought a Cube on the B2W scheme, its been a good bike but theres no love its just a generic alloy non heart racing meh! Took me a while to realise that its the CX bit of it I liked rather than the bike itself. Still nothing wrong with that, its just a pure tool and for what I paid its paid itself back. FWIW if I did it again I'd buy a crosscheck or summat.

Fair enough gents, probably misjudged the tone there.

Anyway, I was going to reply asking her not to remove the category. I'm thinking we could all make the effort and actually ride retro, no excuses. I'm thinking it's worth promoting this on the wider site too, and seeing if we can't get broader retro participation.

Back