1" integrated headset - options?

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
I need to source a 1" integrated or internal headset for an upcoming build for the winter months.

Traditional diameter headtube and 1" threadless forks - what are my options and where to purchase from?

Any input on this gladly welcomed...

Cheers

FINNEY1973":2urm0wmr said:
I need to source a 1" integrated or internal headset for an upcoming build for the winter months.

Traditional diameter headtube and 1" threadless forks - what are my options and where to purchase from?

Any input on this gladly welcomed...

Cheers

Not many options that I know of. The Campag 1-inch "Hiddenset" system (and its equivalent clones) needs a dedicated design of frame headtube although I think you can use any old 1" threadless fork. More info here:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... -standards

Not sure how easy 1" Hiddensets are to come by these days, although like spare 9 and 8(?) speed cassettes they may be one of these obscure things still made at the Vicenza plant but squirrelled away in a dark corner of the Campag catalogue.

The only other 1" integrated system I know of is the old Vitus/Stronglight threaded one as used on the 992 and ZX1 framesets.

David

What do you mean by "Traditional diameter headtube" do you mean to fit a 1" headset?
As hiddensets never went into "traditional diameter headtubes" they are specially machined.

What frame is it (and pictures might help!)

Cheers guys - had a feeling this one may be a bit of a hunt and also I need to get the spec right. I've had a search around the www and they aren't readily available it seems, which is why I asked - 1" of this type seems to be a short lived specification before 1 1/8 tubes became the norm I assume for ahead stems???

Frame is a TVT - takes a 1" headset. Forks are unbranded 1" alloy steerer on carbon legs (purchased as they were cheap and I'm unlikely to find the original forks that would of been with the frame) with the intention of using a Cinelli Alter stem hence needing a hidden / threadless headset.

I don't know enough about these headsets to make an informed purchase so hence any input & advice is most welcome :)

FINNEY1973":zvcb51fr said:
Cheers guys - had a feeling this one may be a bit of a hunt and also I need to get the spec right. I've had a search around the www and they aren't readily available it seems, which is why I asked - 1" of this type seems to be a short lived specification before 1 1/8 tubes became the norm I assume for ahead stems???

Frame is a TVT - takes a 1" headset. Forks are unbranded 1" alloy steerer on carbon legs (purchased as they were cheap and I'm unlikely to find the original forks that would of been with the frame) with the intention of using a Cinelli Alter stem hence needing a hidden / threadless headset.

I don't know enough about these headsets to make an informed purchase so hence any input & advice is most welcome :)

am a bit confussed by all this.i thought a hidden headset fitted the bearings inside the headtube.the headtube needs to be flared out and machined by the people who make the frame. surely what you are after is a A head style headset where the steerer tube on the forks is smooth and will be a snug fit in the correct headset, all this will be clamped in place by the allen bolts on the stem.i am fairly sure this is the type of headset you need, you will also need a starnut to bang inside the steerer

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campagnolo-Re ... 8777783%26

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
matthew71":3e9tadxc said:
FINNEY1973":3e9tadxc said:

am a bit confussed by all this.i thought a hidden headset fitted the bearings inside the headtube.the headtube needs to be flared out and machined by the people who make the frame. surely what you are after is a A head style headset where the steerer tube on the forks is smooth and will be a snug fit in the correct headset, all this will be clamped in place by the allen bolts on the headset.i am fairly sure this is the type of headset you need

Yes, that's the set-up but required in 1" size - everything I see available is 1 1/8th size and hence no good - I want the ahead style headset if it's compatible with a TVT frame and 1" threadless forks - could well be that this won't work and I need to find the correct forks for the frame??

So, do you want an aheadset or a hiddenset?
A picture of the headtube would help!

(Most of the TVTs I can find use a 1" headset or aheadset)

check the link on my post, I edited it as you responded.you will never get a hiddenset to fit it but the rest should be about

Back