MacRetro chat and rides thread

Carbon. Outside the luddite world, Ti as a road frame material is being called into question, even in the Mtb world too, too much of a premium for what you can pretty much get from a steel set up these days, your lucky if there is half a pound in it. Also I'm guessing your riding isn't big day out epics and more but a hoon about in the evenings, now not having ridden either obviously I'd say the carbon frame should be more fun and racey. Carbon when done right should be stiff in the right places and comfy in others, harder to do with Ti. I still fancy ti of course there is that je ne se ti about it, I've been eyeing a Kinesis frame as a crosser/tourer/epicy thing, but the truth is I don't have the time for the tour/epic so its a pipedream to the mo.

Edit: Forgot to add, my carbon road bike is brilliant!

Ti - Kasier knows nothing :) it is the material of the Gods, even if him and clubby persuaded me otherwise with my last purchase :)

I'd go for Ti as carbon is prone to damage far more than the Ti and im not sure it would have such a great shelf life if damaged , from moisture etc :?
These days carbon is dropping in price and Ti is much the same price its always been ie fing expensive, so the canny Scot would go for the Ti ;)
If i knew about roadie parts id say go with the best groupo deal

Kaiser, was that the Tripster ATR? Been looking at that myself.
TK, wrong material for your application. A road frame however. Problem with carbon road frames is that while they can easily be built strong and stiff, most companies chase light weight instead. By the time you make them stiff and bombproof there's not much weight saving against a metal frame.

Aye clubby the Tripster, had a good look round it down at the Lakes, really really nice frame and an ideal candidate for Ti.

I think gazz will need to expand his requirements a bit! All very well guessing what would be best for him but some more info would be needed, furinstance he might tell us he's starting to race crits roon killie or he's off around the world!

FWIW it looks like there is about a lb of difference between the frames, with the carbon one being lighter, I'd also bet it would be stiffer and comfier too. I'd also guess that the ti one will be non butted, no mention of it and common on lower end ti.

no great plan really , just a bit bored and was always smitten with Mr K's planet X and a road bike seemed a good enough itch to scratch as any (especially given the great weather we have been having). That said seems our bike to work scheme is thru halfords so planet x are out of the equation baaaa. Think I can get any bike that is sold thru a bike shop so like proud edwards army , I'm off to think again (and no not even ever never no time or anytime ZZ will it be FAT, unless it is of the chance type :twisted: ).

lots of love for the Ti but carbon like 29ers seems to be the future if you put any credence in what the pro's are riding so....

If its through Halfords then (and your not bothered about the name on the downtube) then the Boredman bikes get good value press.

kaiser":4vfnz7ky said:
If its through Halfords then (and your not bothered about the name on the downtube) then the Boredman bikes get good value press.

First time this year that I have to agree with 'K' :mrgreen:

Back