Gios Torino Professional - the white edition

I don't know about the wood. but I have always used a cilinder of cork, from a bottle of wine or champagne, to close the lower hole of the for tubes, so the dirt and water doesn't grow inside. Cork works much better than wood for many reasons, cork does not absorb water, and it's softer and will compress and adapt better to the cylinder.

MaLóL":1vh0k9ja said:
I don't know about the wood. but I have always used a cilinder of cork, from a bottle of wine or champagne, to close the lower hole of the for tubes, so the dirt and water doesn't grow inside. Cork works much better than wood for many reasons, cork does not absorb water, and it's softer and will compress and adapt better to the cylinder.
At the "Stalen Ros" in Gent/Belgium i had the opportunity to discuss this topic with an real italien framebuilder: Marco Gios!
He explained as follows:
It's a comfi issue. The proriders in the 70's and 80's explained, that the wooden Plug lowers the rattling and the hard tosses, especially on kobble roads. So the frame builders applied these plugs to the forks.

One personal note from my experiences regarding the Plug: Later the other framebuilders took over this habit and used plastic plugs instead. ( BASSO for Example).

Thanks for the information, and 'from the horse's mouth' as we say in UK.

If it is a comfort issue, then MaLoL's cork would seem equally suitable, and easier to fit, and as he says, it doesn't absorb water, which makes one wonder why they weren't all made from corks from wine bottles, which are surely not scarce in France or Italy!

Giosgremlin":3boymouq said:
At the "Stalen Ros" in Gent/Belgium

I found som nice small items for the white Gios.
1383682_10201427740149040_1742396763_n.jpg

Giosgremlin":2qyo7ffr said:
:facepalm: Lucky You, again

Yes I was. After the fair we had diner with Aldo and Marco Gios and the organisation of the fair :mrgreen:

Nice to meet you Giosgremlin!

Gastheerg":22z06iao said:
Giosgremlin":22z06iao said:
:facepalm: Lucky You, again

Yes I was. After the fair we had diner with Aldo and Marco Gios and the organisation of the fair :mrgreen:

Nice to meet you Giosgremlin!
Hy Gastheerg,
It was very nice meeting you too! I was totaly surprised by your huge milage per year, respect! I had to leave early, due to my Long Ride back home. It was Midnight when I finaly arrived - what a Drag.

Gastheerg":1y2qdbkx said:
Good looking rubber :mrgreen:

They're great looking tyres, how do they ride, have you tried them? I see they're supposed to ride more like tubs than clinchers...

gavr":69tgq56w said:
Gastheerg":69tgq56w said:
Good looking rubber :mrgreen:

They're great looking tyres, how do they ride, have you tried them? I see they're supposed to ride more like tubs than clinchers...

I use the Challenge tyres for normal use but also the wider types for special use like Paris-Roubaix. Great tyres. Rolling well but a little quick puncture when it's raining.

Latest posts

Back