Highpath Hi-Lite off-road bicycle for sale

oldave":35mv5qpz said:
I'd want to "see" inside it before I rode it. I've scrapped frames that looked better than that externally.

Apart from the open frame parts: steerer tube, bottom-bracket shell and seat tube. D W-S used to seal all other sections on the basis that once the internal oxygen was used up no internal corrosion could occur. The bottom bracket air spaces are filled with grease under slight pressure so that it will slowly escape past the bearing seals, and so keeping the bearing clean.

I would personally be more concerned about eyelet corrosion in the difficult to replace 48 spoke 650b Mavic' Module4 rims, brake lining condition and brake shoe availability, and possible metal fatigue of the bottom bracket axle.

Brake shoe re-lining is no problem, there are quite a few companies who do this for classic motorbikes, some of which where not much bigger than the ones on this bike!

I'd buy it if I could afford it, when are you likely to see another one for sale?

Re: Highpath Hi-Lite off-road bicycle for sale - now on ebay

Highpath Mountain Bike (Handmade), Quality Hub Brakes, Egg Ring Transmission - 321232049684

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1232049684

Many thanks for your previous comments and phone calls.

Regards Grahame

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Billybob2":20na2wcp said:
...."I paid a three digit figure for THE first production Aventura frame number 003,how is this Highpath any better?".....

Here's a quick Highpath Hi Lite / Cleland Aventura Comparison:

*Clelands are lighter but not as strong.

*Clelands mostly used off the shelf parts many of which can be obtained today.

*Highpaths were fitted with many non standard or custom made parts.

*It is far easier to get on and off the Hi-Light because of the lower step over height.

*The quality control during manufacture at Highpath Engineering was much better. The frames and custom made components are stronger and of a higher standard.

*Highpaths have 100mm wide bottom bracket shells and asymmetrical rear triangles combined with stronger undished rear wheels. They have exceptional mud clearances.

Clelands 90mm wide bottom bracket shells have dished rear wheels giving less mud clearance but a slightly shorter wheelbase. Due to this and their abbility to be setup so as to have zero off-set handle bars, (a line drawn between the handle bar grips will intersect the steering tube axis), the Clelands can climb noticeably steeper slopes.

Early Clelands have laterally weak front wheels due to the narrow flanges on the front hub brakes. Later bikes used modified rear hub shells on the front. The hubs are attached with bolts.

Clelands were not fitted with sealed bearings, though the bearings are far enough inside the hubs to keep the dirt out. Highpaths used sealed bearings and Allen key fittings throughout, and some Highpaths have annular drop outs where the frame/forks need to be pulled apart in order to remove the wheels.

If I did not already own two Highpaths I would happily pay £1000+ for this bike.

This is because we are talking about the most suited to wet and muddy British conditions, off-road bikes ever to be made. This Hi-Lite would also make an excellent off-road tourer.

Good sensible price for a serious piece of UK bike history in fair condition...anyone here?

All the best,

danson67":3d5ih94n said:
Good sensible price for a serious piece of UK bike history in fair condition...anyone here?

All the best,

It was me what bought it.
I've had to register with retrobike on someone else's PC as my own IP address was blocked due to errors in security thinking that I'd intentionally done some spamming in 2010(absolutely not!!). If you don't see me on this forum due to still being blocked on my own PC, you will see me on retrobike facebook.
The bike is worth it to me. I spoke with DWS in the 1980's about getting a Highpath and didn't take him up on the offer and have regretted it ever since.
Hubs are a masterpiece work of art,and totally functional.
Apart from the cables needing tweaking, bike is totally rideable as it stands. First thing that struck me on riding it was the short virtual top tube length, but that suits me fine.
Even though the seller is the same height as me, the saddle was set too low for my preference. When I set the saddle to my preferred height (straight leg,heel on pedal, slightly bent, ball of foot on pedal) I'm sure I won't be able to easily put my feet down on the ground, so thanks for the lack of normal top tube.
I'm sure I'll be back on this forum somehow to let you all know how I'm getting on. I can't see me having to ask for much advice as the bike is so intuitive for what little maintenance required. Unless I snap the bottom bracket axle (highly unlikely) I can't see me hitting anything I can't fix. I've been fixing bikes for 40 years, and topped this up recently with cytech/DT Swiss certification, so no ignorant butchering from me.

Regards Paul.
P.S. The 650B wheels are 40 spoke, not 48 ;)

P.P.S. Logged on fine on my own PC now.

Hi Paul,
Welcome to RetroBike! :cool:

Congratulations on winning this superb Highpath. They were never designed so that you can put your feet on the ground whilst sitting in the saddle. You will soon get used to this. I sometimes use a dropper seatpost for more technical riding.

Thanks for the correct spoke hole info. :oops:

One tip is if you ever fit modern tyres you may also need to fit thicker rim tape, especially if you run the tyres at the low pressures often used with Cleland style bikes. This is because the rim flanges are smaller than on modern rims and so can allow the tyre to slip off the rim. D W-S used electrical tape instead of rim tape as this can be wound around until the correct thickness is obtained. This will also stop the valve from being ripped out due to rim creep at lower pressures.

I don't know where you are based but you may be interested in this years Cleland reunion ride starting from Wendover, Buckinghamshire.
http://clelandcycles.wordpress.com/weekend-rides/

Regards,
Graham

Back