Do we think

It just seems to me that saying it's the internet, and doesn't mean anything, is a load of rubbish. What makes the medium of our communication somehow make what you say "not mean anything"?

Greatest communication system ever created, greatest library of recorded human knowledge and cultural artifacts, and you dismiss it out of a sense of grumpy old fartedness. Seems a bit daft.

Bats":3pyzg40t said:
It just seems to me that saying it's the internet, and doesn't mean anything, is a load of rubbish. What makes the medium of our communication somehow make what you say "not mean anything"?

Greatest communication system ever created, greatest library of recorded human knowledge and cultural artifacts, and you dismiss it out of a sense of grumpy old fartedness. Seems a bit daft.

Deliberate irony? Or the genuine article.

Excellent.

Alison":y5nlii7d said:
I just think it's time we took a hold of ourselves and said never a nasty word, all opinions to be said with total and utter respect

What if the person you're talking to is an arse?

Just like in real life, i'll give everyone the benefit of the doubt at first, but if they're an arse, they can expect to be treated like one.

Bats":s8l53oxx said:

I'm bored, so I'll bite :roll:

Until I buy from/sell to someone here, or go riding with them, they're just a name on a screen, nothing more. I imagine they see me the same way. I was on a car forum many years ago where one popular member apparently created an entire imaginary partner, with a surprisingly convincing 'personality' of their own, before tragically killing them off, and receiving lots of sympathy. I'm not suggesting anyone here is non-existent (although they could be for all I know) but you can't attach life-altering significance to anything that's posted.

If someone harrasses me face-to-face, or makes abusive phone-calls to my house, that's invasive and very unpleasant - if someone trolls me on a forum, I just stop reading their posts. Simple. The fact that so many people seemingly can't make that distinction any longer, presumably because the internet has become such a massively integral part of their personal life, is rather tragic. Any communication system which causes (primarily young) people to become so utterly dependant and fixated on it that they'll hang themselves because of some words or pictures on a screen is deeply flawed.

Often these kids that do for themselves are either being threatened by having illicit pics of themselves posted all over the internet, which I'm sure they themselves would admit was stupid at the time to have sent them in the first place, and kids that are being bullied incessantly at school and then it continues at home on the internet/ mobile, whether or not they spend an hour a week on them are every spare moment, as someone who suffered very much from bulling both at school from kids as well as teacher and at home from siblings, I know how desperately lonely you feel and how it effects you psychologically.

Alison

People hang themselves, murder and all sort because of "real life" talk.. Chinese whisper, what someone though someone said, what people tell them to do and whatnot. Has always been like that. So all communication must be flawed. Not just t'Internet.

We should all shut up and not believe a thing anyone says no matter how it is delivered.

FluffyChicken":m88hw9b1 said:
People hang themselves, murder and all sort because of "real life" talk.. Chinese whisper, what someone though someone said, what people tell them to do and whatnot. Has always been like that. So all communication must be flawed. Not just t'Internet.

We should all shut up and not believe a thing anyone says no matter how it is delivered.

Yes communication is flawed, my mother-in-law takes EVERYTHING!! the wrong way :roll: but I don't think you should disbelieve everything, I know my hubby is telling the truth when he say's he loves me and also when my children say it, I also know people are not being honest when they say I'm an attractive woman, I know I'm the dogs dinner and accept it. A lot said should definitely be taken with a pinch of salt though.

Alison

Bats":236nhval said:
and you dismiss it out of a sense of grumpy old fartedness. Seems a bit daft.

Whatever assumptions you wish to make, please keep your tongue in check, while I reserve the right to keep mine in my cheek.

I was about to give my 10p of thought on this thread but at the last minute stopped myself. Thats the great thing about the internet forum, you can read and reply both positive and negative if you want, but, you dont have too :D

We all have our off days. Humility, mild autism and OCD is the key. and not taking it all too seriously. I am really the alter-ego of another far more serious member. Can you guess who? :D

Attachments

• THM.jpg
    THM.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 135
Back