Powder coating questions.....

feetabix

Retrobike Rider
Please forgive me if this stuff has been raised a thousand times!........but, I have a frame/fork/stem combo that I would like coating.

It's new ground for me, but any tips or advice would be welcome....

I presume the items will need sand blasting before coating, thus removing the need for cleaning up beforehand.

Will I need to mask up threads and areas in contact with headset components and a seat pin?......

I'm sure your collective advice will answer the ten or fifteen questions I will think of over the next hour!.....

Anyone got experience of a coater in the midlands?.......

Thanks in advance......

Good coaters will insist on blasting themselves to ensure a pristine surface before spraying powder. Those that have any worthwhile experience with bikes will know what to mask up and do it themselves. A visit and 5 minutes chat will confirm this - often you'll see several other frames in progress.

Yes it will need sand or bead blasting before they powder coat it, this is usually doen in-house by the powdercoaters anyway and included in the price.

Any decent powdercoaters with experience of bike frames will mask off things like brake bosses, bottom bracket threads etc, ask them beforehand to make sure though.

Last time I had a frame coated I left some old water bottle bolts in the bosses just to make sure, but everything else was masked off by the powdercoaters.

I've used LSN coatings in Castleford, West Yorks before, very good, although not exactly the midlands...

Personal preference, but I always mask everything myself.

This was prompted by both me and an experienced powder coating firm failing to spot a breather pipe on an oil in frame motorcycle frame. It took me hours to get every single tiny little bit of blasting media out of that oil tank. :facepalm:

feetabix":3jbu9b8i said:
Please forgive me if this stuff has been raised a thousand times!........but, I have a frame/fork/stem combo that I would like coating.

It's new ground for me, but any tips or advice would be welcome....

I presume the items will need sand blasting before coating, thus removing the need for cleaning up beforehand.

Will I need to mask up threads and areas in contact with headset components and a seat pin?......

I'm sure your collective advice will answer the ten or fifteen questions I will think of over the next hour!.....

Anyone got experience of a coater in the midlands?.......

Thanks in advance......

I think there is a thread in the east mids section with some local coaters daz,with a few of the lads there having used some

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=214894

I've never had anything powder coated or painted in anyway in fact.

So asked around. LSN was an obvious choice up here as others had used them, but they couldn't do what I wanted.
Anyway I asked another company a member on here mentioned. http://www.yorvik-es.co.uk/powder.html

So I emailed them, their repkt=y should answer your questions.

Me..
Hi, I have two bike frames I'll need powder coating (and paint remove first)
First is a thin Alu frame, second is a thin steel frame.

I'm looking for the colours you can do and the finish and also if you can do an abrupt colour change over
thenks

Yorvik
Not a problem. To chemically strip/glass bead blast/prep/mask/powdercoat/powdercoat lacquer a frame/fork set in a stocked colour would be £66 inclusive (metallics + £10)
It is possible to do abrupt colour changes and for masking and additional work like this the labour rate is £35 per hour, so cost for additional "custom" work varies depending on the compexity of what you had in mind.

I guess prices, quality and what they can/cannot do varies from place to place.

Back