TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Evening all,

Does this cassette exist -

Shimano Dura Ace 8 speed Hyperglide?

OR

does any Shimano 8 sp cassette work? Are there any varying types eg weight, quality differences?

Thanks,

Richard

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Um,

I had a read at that previously and i cannot make much sense of it - could be me being stupid though (most likely). I need a translation!

Richard

The first Dura Ace Hyperglide compatible hub. Was produced to be backwards compatible with UniGlide - note the UG outer threads on the freehub body. The lock nuts are tapered to facilitate installing the 130mm hub in a 126mm spacing frame.

FH-7400 6/7 speed UniGlide (reduced diameter 31.8mm UG thread to allow 12T sprocket, 126mm spaced rear)
FH-7402 8speed UG (reduced diameter UG thread, 130mm spaced rear)
FH-7403 8speed UG standard size UG external thread, full length splines, plus HyperGlide spline and HG internal lockring thread.(130mm spaced rear)

The 7400 series share a unique attachment method. Instead of the normal bolt there is a threaded protrusion built into the freehub, with it's own unique extractor tool.

Also of note, the 7400's hubs started with Uniglide freehubs & then transitioned over to hyperglide.

OK,

Having re-read that again - it appear i need this -

FH-7403 8speed UG standard size UG external thread, full length splines, plus HyperGlide spline and HG internal lockring thread.(130mm spaced rear)

but i really do not understand what ^^^ that ^^^ means! Is it UG or HG? Is id DA?

Richard

Having re-read the above it appears i am wrong - that relates to the freehub. I have the FH 7403 - what cassette do i need?

Richard

Found this...

Replaced Dura Ace Cassette with HG 50 Shimano 105 8 speed 12-25 cassette and a shimano hyperglide compatible chain. All is working, shifting, threading, and feeling nicely solid with no chain skip or weird shifting

Thanks for that - does that mean there is no such thing as a Dura Ace 8sp Hyperglide cassette?

Richard

Back