SOLVED [Bristol] Mavic 230 rim shattering, need rim / wheel

betterdays

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone
I'm a bit in panic mode : currently touring England, stopped in Bristol, my rear Mavic 230 is shattering due to the wear of braking, a first for me in 25 years of cycling.
That poor rim is probably as old as the bike itself (1994) and I've put some kilometres on it since I got it (1600 km). Obviously, the added weight of my bags and the downhills in Cornwall didn't help.
So if you have a rim in good condition or even better, a complete wheel for a reasonable price, anything will do (the front rim is a Mt. Titan so I don't care about mismatching them)
If I can collect it this Wednesday, all the better : I need to get moving ;-)
Thanks in advance !

Re: URGENT [Bristol] Mavic 230 rim shattering, need rim / wh

I have a fair few rims if you need a build doing while you wait im in lowestoft in suffolk drop me a line

Bonsoir,creme de menthe!

I got a xt737 hubbbed 48 spoke sunn rhinolite in Dorset,for £35 to you my cheese loving friend. :xmas-big-grin:

48 spokes ? Is that even possible on a MTB ?
I need it to be in Bristol since the bike can break down at any time, obviously I won't ride too much ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion, I'd have found what I needed for sure, unfortunately I need a working bike to continue visiting the country, can't even wait until Saturday since I need to be able to go to whatever place I found to pitch my tent...

Re: SOLVED [Bristol] Mavic 230 rim shattering, need rim / wh

SORTED ! Woohoo ! Went to a number of shops along Gloucester/Cheltenham Road, Cycle Surgery only had a beautiful Mavic 717 in 32 hole. Same for Fred Baker and Mud Dock, only 32 hole rims.
I found a nice Mavic X517 (silver) for 20£ at Bike Workshop. Very cool guys.
Will lace it up tomorrow, first time I'm lacing a wheel, but I should do fine.

Actually 1600kms out of a Mavic M230 is about the best you can hope for with them. They got the weight really low by thinning the extrusions, especially in the brake track zones. I've seen several fail catastrophically during usage. A friend who raced when she was all of 110 Ibs had her rim snap/detonate apart during a weeknight local XC race. Her sidewall was just GONE on one side for a good 20 inches or so.

DeeEight":168gd0le said:
Actually 1600kms out of a Mavic M230 is about the best you can hope for with them. They got the weight really low by thinning the extrusions, especially in the brake track zones. I've seen several fail catastrophically during usage. A friend who raced when she was all of 110 Ibs had her rim snap/detonate apart during a weeknight local XC race. Her sidewall was just GONE on one side for a good 20 inches or so.

1600km done by me and probably a lot more by the previous owner during these 19 years... These things happen. Even Ferraris and Rolls Royce's fail... So a lightweight rim shattering because of wear, not too surprising ;-)

I weighed 65kg and wrecked one in no time when new.

Back