Carradice Nelson Longflap Saddle Bag.

bugloss

Retrobike Rider
I bought one of these to go on my newly acquired mount and was wondering if I needed to get a wire frame for it or is it going to be just fine hanging off the Brooks ?

Any tips or advice appreciated.

The bag....

The mount.......

Attachments

• dawes Olympic 2.jpg
    dawes Olympic 2.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 681
  • carradice-nelson-longflap-zoom.jpg
    carradice-nelson-longflap-zoom.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 681
I have a large Brooks saddle bag and I use a small carrier that bolts directly onto the two rear stays. A bit of extra support for those heavy loads is always useful.

Old Ned":1kefrsnr said:
I sold a bag rest at the jumble yesterday..........................
AArrrg!

Thanks guys,

I've ended up buying one, which looks like a mini rack with stays. The bag and rest cost more than the whole bike :roll:

I'll use it for the Retro Ronde and the Bravo Scozia as well, so I should be able to do without a musette or any other bags which will be splendid. It's going to make for a decent combination.

Blimey I used to sell them nearly 40 years ago............ and even back then they needed a bit of support :)

Shaun

Bit like me then, in need of support :roll:

I'm going for a blast down memory lane and am a 1000 miles from my 80's Italian pantographed comfort zone. :? Oh crikey....

It'll bring back some memories for my 78 year old father, as he used to cruise the Seven Sisters Road on a London fixed wheeler in the 50's on his way to meet mother in Enfield.

Speaking of which, I still haven't managed to get to his bike in the back of the loft yet. I might go a tunnelling this Sunday if it's wet, but if it's dry it's a tool to the Essex coast on the red and white, which looks like it's got BOA pedals on it too by the way.

So heres hoping it's dry, eh! :cool:

Like Shaun, I sold these fine bags, and once used the cape loops to pick up 3 new Hetchins frames from the railway goods depot.
Keith

That's a nice anecdote, were they curly ones and were you not tempted to ride off into the sunset with them ?
I'm glad they still make the bags, as it would be a shame to put a modern one on it.

Update on Sundays ride, I've managed to tag along with the V-CC Fishbourne Season Finale ride out of Chichester, so that should be a fun day out, hope the red and white doesn't need too much amateur roadside repairs. :LOL: I've already primed them.

I'll take some photos of the ride and post them next week when I come home.

The frames were for my shop stock, and unless by special order I alway sold the straight Hetchins. The top tubes were strapped on through the cape loops, and a piece of string over the shoulder and loosely round the handlebar would hold them up with the weight on the saddlebag. This was about 1956.

I was wondering how you strapped them on.

Why did you only sell the straight Hetchins from stock ?
I don't suppose you have a photo of your shop you could post, I would love to see it .

Back