What ie those who make fun of us and china of them will laug

Re: What ie those who make fun of us and china of them will

I took a look under PB's eBay link.

I won't immediately send him my parts for a treatment, but if he finds an audiance and can making a living of it... Why not? With all respect but a Campagnolo part is not like a Vermeer painting. I have dozens (cherished) NR /SR groupsets alone. Unfortunatelly not all countries have the luxury of an ethically sound banking sector with plenty of work to do :facepalm:

lewisfoto":upazyig0 said:
torqueless":upazyig0 said:
.. and if someone is producing 'NOS', using the original tooling, is there really any difference?

The quality of the metal alloy might be one big difference. Besides if there were a factory cranking out Campagnolo copies then we would see a lot more of it for sale and steep declines in prices. Campganolo had giant production runs during the 70s and 80s so if hundreds or even thousands of the parts survive in new condition it is not a surprise.

Steven

I'm not saying it's happening, just that it wouldn't surprise me if it was. As you say, 'cranking it out' wouldn't make sense economically, plus presumably the market is much smaller than it was when the stuff was state-of-the-art, but lucrative nonetheless. By the same token, any profit-oriented business (is there any other kind?) with an industrial-scale stock of genuine NOS would be drip-feeding the market, pretending the stuff was rarer than it actually is, to boost the price.

Just to clarify my position, in response to earlier posts- I believe I was the first to mention NR/SR specifically, as an example of something out of production but in demand, which would be a money-spinner for anyone who can meet the demand. That's not a suggestion, just an observation. It doesn't have to be China, either. If anyone is implying that the denizens of any particular location are either dishonest, or metalurgically incompetent, or both, it ain't me..

Indeed,

And as RB user Montello found out one South African Ebay seller ADMITTED to making reproduction Campagnolo 50th Anniversary dust caps!

I find it curious that the bike industry, unlike the car or motorcycle industry, does not have a classic sector. For example you can VW Beatle replica wings, retro carbs, like Mikcarb, for old British bikes etc. The quality is variable but the replica industry helps keep old vehicles on the road. There are a few examples of old school parts in the bike industry like Dia Compe non aero brake levers and centre pull brakes, Soma replica Campag pullleys, Cane Creek old school hoods, IRD freewheels etc but replica derailleurs no. Maybe the volume is not there. I would have no problem buying a replica part but it would need to be priced below an original and have some form of marking that signifies its a replica. Shame the guy in South Africa tried to con people by selling fakes when he could have been building a business by selling replica's.

Latest posts

Back