Is this frame savable?

A.D.R

Dirt Disciple
First time posting in the Road section here.

I picked up an old Raleigh racing bike, I think the model is a 'Rapier' (see pic of fork decal) from the 60's, with a low end Hi-ten steel frame, cottered cranks, with 26tpi BB (70mm shell), centre pull brakes, 27" wheels.

It had been sat in a farm shed for who knows how long before I was given it, unfortunately the roof of the shed partially collapsed at some point and its been exposed to the elements for a time and the top tube is fairly rusty. Basically I'm wondering if the corrosion has consigned the frame to the skip. Wasn't planning on a faithful restoration, just a basic, possibly, single speed parts bin hack bike. Also its got wrap around seat stays, would this be a Carlton built frame? And what kind of rear mech is it, I'm not much of an expert on vintage road bikes

Front End

Fork (and rapier(?) decal)

Top tube

Rear Mech

Andy

I'd love to find something like that! Looks to me like there's nothing wrong with it at all. A set of tyres, new chain and a liberal dose of oil and it's good to go. I would!

Also make sure you slather that saddle with Dubbin and it'll soften up again. It doesn't even look like it's far out of shape.

There was a Raleigh Rapier with wraparound seat stays so you've nailed the model. I'd say well worth saving, it will just be surface rust, underneath there's a bright steel frame crying to get out :)

Yet another of the Raleigh / Carltons, they made about 300,000 of them, some with different shaped lugs.
Reasonable ride, but still heavy cheap tubing, made for the market they had at the time.

Its heavy tubing means that the rust will have had little effect..tidy up and ride!

You could make a fun rat-rod kind of thing from it.

That's a Huret rear mech. Stelvio? One of the cheaper ones anyway, made for budget concious cyclists.

Back