trying to build a bike up from the tip

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So, sold my only 'road' bike a few weeks ago only to then invite myself along to a road ride...

Duh.

I challenged myself to build a bike on a limited budget with everything sourced entirely from the tip if at all possible.

Having politely turned down a 10spd Townsend (cotter pin chainset) I have managed to accrue the following:

2011 Tiagra f&r mechs from a run over Moda (cranks were bent, couldnt even save the rings), I hope the rider was ok!

very early 105 hubbed wheels which need an axle and a spoke to finish.

Its getting a bit worrying though as no sign of a vaguely usable chainset, or most importantly, FRAME!

:LOL: :LOL:

Good luck! Something should turn up if you keep an eye, as long as your local tip isn't like mine where they don't let you take bike parts. Had you thought to ask on Freecycle for a 'junk' bike to restore? You'd be surprised what people consider junk.

Jonny69":3sani63y said:
as long as your local tip isn't like mine where they don't let you take bike parts.
Our local recycling centre used to sell you bikes & bike parts but no more as everything
is stripped of its rubber parts then thrown straight into the big steel bin! This sucks
as I've seen many a nice/decent bikes even one 531 labelled tourer with Tubs fitted :(

The correct answer is to just take stuff when they aren't looking. The company might be bothered, but not a single employee is.

would mtb be ok? i work at a second hand bike shop an we strip stuff down somtimes an scrap the frames am sure if somthing popped up you could have it dirt cheap

It has to be a road bike - thanks for the offer - its a challenge I set myself as tip finds are getting less and less. A few years ago it was two or three quality bikes a week. Now I am lucky if its one or two a year.

Latest posts

Back