Do you know what headset this is? H-elp.

ti_pin_man

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Are you using a proper headset cup remover ?

Yes?

Then get a bigger hammer ;)

Might want to soak it first in a solution of thinners or a penetrating oil. something to help weaken the grip the corrosion between the cup and headtube. Plastic container to dunk it in then leave it overnight.

Love watching the fear on customers faces as you use brute force to free something. I have bashed the utter hell out of things like BB cups and im sure i must have been applying massive forces with extended scaffold poles on the end of spanners. Same with removing pedals, we've have 3 people on the end of a big extended wrench undoing a pedal. You'd have thought the crank arm would have snapped but it was the corrosion that went first.

A proper tool will hold itself in place. You need to hit it squarely, thats about your only worry, and even then i dont really mean 'worry' more be aware :?

NOTE
If you really arent comfortable walloping it a last resort would be to carefully mill away one part from another. :? About all i can think of sorry, but i would stress having it dunked in a penetrating solution first before making further attempts.
Theres a very good pro solvent for this. Apparently eats alloy oxide but not the alloy itself and is recommended for seatposts. I really cannot remmeber the bloody name :? Brox*** something

Theres a very good pro solvent for this. Apparently eats alloy oxide but not the alloy itself and is recommended for seatposts. I really cannot remmeber the bloody name :? Brox*** something
Sounds a bit like Evaporust Aluminate. Or maybe something a bit less friendly containing phosphoric acid. :shock:

All the best,

guys, left it with my LBS and they didnt want to bash this too much as they knew it was a nice frame and didnt want to hit it with a bigger hammer, i took their word for it that this was reasonable and they had tried to bash the cups out. As such I have gone with the idea of finding the right headset ... but am happy to be swayed back to the bigger hammer approach but dont want to do it myself as i dont have the right tools. I'm near london and bike shops around these ere parts are a bit crap so it may well be they just cant be bothered trying, any recommended bike shops in south west london or easy drive from?

otherwise guess the headset continues! ;)

The right tool should hammer it out without twisting, so would the right fitter.
A less stressful but time consuming approach is to cut it out slowly like a stuck bottom bracket till it fold in on itself.

putting a headset in, given it will push the tube apart a touch, would be when it goes ;)
Really though if it goes on that, then it'll go when riding I would have thought.

I don't know the headset, at least from that picture. No markings or faint worn away writing on the lower cup.
Do you have the other parts ?

The cups look a similar shape to the Diatech ones I knocked out of my frame, the logo was easily scratched away on those. Although, I can't imagine anyone would fit a low-range h/s to an Amp frame, so I doubt it's the same. If it's a 1 1/8" headtube you're welcome to the races etc just to see if they fit - I've no use for them.

Koupe, might take you up on that. I'm wondering if I try another bike shop who might try harder with the cups as I did go and buy a king headset for it. ;)

But if anybody else has headset type ideas, let me know.

Back