One for the mechanics..or gifted in bike knowledge?

legrandefromage":19f55rta said:
something like:

New-SRAM-Red-review-install-notes-front-derailleur-cable02.jpg

Legrandefromage, can you explain the photos, all I can see is a clamped cable, what am I missing? :oops:

Ramage, 'under load' is simply slow pedalling along the flat, nothing taxing for the drive train. Shifters are nice and smooth with all the required 'clicks', it seems that the third click just isn't enough to move the the mech far enough.

The mech pivots are all good, no play in the pivots, mech moves freely manually.

No interferance with the cables when on the stand.

still scratching head........

All of the above is good advice.
To help understand what component is causing the problem try setting it on the inner front chain ring and a middle gear at the back. Then operate the front mech by pulling the exposed cable with your hand. If you get enough throw to shift cleanly to the outer ring then your mech is probably OK and the problem is the shifter or cable. If not then the front mech needs further adjustment or repair.
Dave

Andy T":f5huvirz said:
Shifters are nice and smooth with all the required 'clicks', it seems that the third click just isn't enough to move the the mech far enough.

Put chain in granny on front and big on rear. Loosen cable pinch bolt. rotate cranks and adjust lower limit screw in until inner plate on front mech is just rubbing on the chain. Pull cable tight and tighten cable pinch bolt. Tight as in grab it with pliers just above the pinch bolt and pull it tight so there is good tension on the cable and tighten the bolt. Back off lower limit screw 1/8 turn. See if that works.

Andy T":3fz4hl2u said:
legrandefromage":3fz4hl2u said:
something like:

New-SRAM-Red-review-install-notes-front-derailleur-cable02.jpg

Legrandefromage, can you explain the photos, all I can see is a clamped cable, what am I missing? :oops:

Ramage, 'under load' is simply slow pedalling along the flat, nothing taxing for the drive train. Shifters are nice and smooth with all the required 'clicks', it seems that the third click just isn't enough to move the the mech far enough.

The mech pivots are all good, no play in the pivots, mech moves freely manually.

No interferance with the cables when on the stand.

still scratching head........

These are misleading pictures in a couple of ways - first they are road mechs with a totally different much shorter cable pull and secondly to get more outward cage throw (which apparently you need) the cable should be the other side of the pinch bolt closer to the pivot point not as pictured. IMHO and not to *hit on LGFs advice, just fiddle with the intended cable route (usually a groove in the FD clamp area) for now until other potential issues are resolved.

the pic was just to show how cables can be clamped differently - it wasnt meant to be an exact representation of actual mech, weather, time of day etc!

What cranks and BB axle length do you have? If you're not sure, try measuring from the centre of the middle ring to the centre of the seat tube (the centre line line of the bike).

I'd guess at a sloppy mech being pushed too far out to cope well.

Ring sizes :? Is it possible the jump is too large

Really difficult to know without seeing it all in operation :LOL: Roll on the age of vids ...... Hang on :LOL:
Do you have a stand to put the bike on while turning the cranks and running through the gears :? Makes a huge difference to ease of set up. And the bike upside down behaves differently to when you turn it right side up.

Any riding situation. On the stand the drivetrains not under load as the wheels not pushing against a road surface.

Back