Look what the Mother in Law was binning-Retro camera content

ringo

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Dropped the kids off with the Mother in Law on Saturday (as we were having a rare night out) and she informed me she'd been having a clear out...

She thrust a carrier bag in my direction, saying, well I was going to bin it... but thought of you... (charming - obviously knows I'm a bin monkey...)

Imagine my surprise when I peered in the bag and saw this...

Made my Saturday, I can tell you!

June 1939 (from serial number) 6x6 Rolleiflex with desirable Zeiss 3.5 lens... Everything works perfectly...

Think this will become the retro way of capturing the Yorkshire sections rides! :D

Re: Lok what the Mother in Law was binning-Retro camera cont

I had that exact same kind of Rolliflex. Got it from my mother many years ago-the prewar Zeiss lenses are the absolute best! Only trouble nowadays is you have to buy and process film to get your shots, unlike the instant gratification and infinitely cheaper-no film- modern digital cameras. It's a really good portrait camera, with the large format 2 1/4" square film that Rolliflex's use-they still sell them for some pretty good coin in camera stores around here...

Interesting looking camera, seems to be in nice shape for its age too. Having never owned one I assume that the two smaller knobs on the port side are the aperture and shutter controls? In the '30s and '40s what we would call medium format, 6x6cm or 2.25in., was called small format. The 35mm camera, which was an unruly teen at the time, was referred to as miniature format. W. Eugene Smith lost a magazine job (Newsweek I think) for using a miniature camera, Leica, on assignment. Of course he later used the same camera to create the groundbreaking photo essays for which he was anointed as "The father of modern photojournalism." I have a small collection of Leicas.

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=261764

And I enjoy talking about the history of photography

Great find by the way hope it is in working order.

Steven

Also twin lens reflex cameras have a very distinct advantage over single lens reflex because without the retracting mirror you see the actual moment caught on film. The disadvantage is the upside down image which one becomes accustomed to.

Another cool thing that you can do in a crowd is hold it upside down over your head and take shots from above the crowd by looking up into the viewfinder-there is also a straight through kind of peep sight on the viewfinder for taking action-pan shots that bypasses the viewing lens...

Interesting looking camera, seems to be in nice shape for its age too. Having never owned one I assume that the two smaller knobs on the port side are the aperture and shutter controls?

No, those knobs (I presume) are for loading the film... they are spring loaded spigots which you will pull out to place the film and secure.

The shutter and aperture controls are adjacent to either side of the lower lens. You move them up and down and a neat dial displays aperture and shutter settings... Really neat but of design.

I'd like to find a way to restore the leather (is suitable paint available), where it has worn through. I see that firms offer a replacement leather, but it is never as good as the original..

I've also seen some custom Red leather and cream conversions which (surprisingly) look ace!

Re: Look what the Mother in Law was binning-Retro camera con

Thanks for that bit of info, I should have know as I have owned similar cameras just not a Rolliflex. As far as the leatherette is concerned, just like an old bike with its original finish, it is best to leave it alone unless the condition is really poor. I do have an old Leica 1 from the 30s that someone painted with mixed results. At any rate this kind of refinish job kills the resale value if that is a concern.

Steven

Re: Look what the Mother in Law was binning-Retro camera con

Here is what the leatherette might look like when painted, as seen on my 30s Leica 1:

Attachments

• Leica 1 back web.jpg
    Leica 1 back web.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 628
  • Leica 1 front web.jpg
    Leica 1 front web.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 628
Back