Raleigh Dynatech Diablo Titanium help?

trickyknott

Dirt Disciple
Just about to travel down to Devon, I intend to sort out my brothers Diablo. I have researched replacing the front wheel bearing and know what I need but I am having problems finding the details of the crank bottom bracket. I believe the crank is a Shimano XT M730, but am struggling to find details so I can replace the bearings etc. Grateful for any advice? cheers

Thanks for the tip, will need to get lockring spanner sorted, then hopefully can get it sorted, It's a great little bike just needs a bit of care. Cheers

If it's a Diablo then it's more likely to have a Shimano sealed cartridge type BB. Diablos first appeared in the 1992 Dyna Tech range which is a time when many manufacturers were moving over to cartridge rather than cup and cone BBs.
All the ones I have seen have cartridge BBs and the 1992 catalogue also confirms this: --> http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/5 ... +Bikes.pdf

In terms of correct size, you'll need a replacement BB with a 68mm shell and 122.5mm BB spindle for the M730 crankset.

Thanks for all the advice just found pic of someone with a seized bearing and thought it looked a little like a cartridge.
I am now tempted to get something a little retro to go with my Trek, we had a weekend in the Peaks based at the Royal Oak Hurdlow(Highly recommended) and the Diablo performed well and kept up with our 29ers the front wheel was a little disconcerting on the descents and the big girls saddle he had put on for his wife didn't add to the experience!
Cheers

Cushty :LOL:

Take some PlusGas, a way of bolting the BB tool in place (crank bolt, spacers etc) so that it can't slip, and some serious leverage - sorry to say but the Raleigh factory in '92 was a grease-free zone :x

The force needed to shift mine ('91 MT4) actually split the ti chainstay along it's length, without budging the BB.

Fingers crossed you have a better time of it, good luck!

Back