1997 IBIS BOW TI - MY DREAM BIKE - FINAL PICS!

Re: 1997-1998 IBIS BOW TI - MY DREAM BIKE

Just got these..NOS 175mm..decided against going all 950 xtr..

this should give people an idea of where I am headed with this build..

Attachments

• kooka.jpg
    kooka.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 740

ishaw":3exhkvdb said:
I've got to say that whilst I appreciate these are rare and unique, they are pretty darned ugly in my opinion, like a ti version of a kirk precision but with bits missing. Just my opinion though.

:mrgreen: Gotta love opinions, because I think it looks great, mainly because it does look so unique. Then when you release it's a Merlin and ti - well - super cool in my book.

They're not that rare...this owner didn't even bother to lock his in York...

Attachments

• 20130623_120653_zpsbd571c81.jpg
    20130623_120653_zpsbd571c81.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 685

^

Rode that (briefly) didn't break it - great day! :)

before you even get a leg over when you first ride a bowTi, mentally you do sort of think it will break. After a few rides you get over yourself. ;) There were 269 built by Ibis I think and I also think Potts/castellano built a few based on the same design.

they built a few in the new design which dosnt look as nice imo, the down tube is a solid piece of titanium with
holes cut out to allow flex. $6000 or so just for a new frame plus postage.

the one bike i did see a few years back that perked my interest was a Szazbo built in titanium, bet thats an interesting ride. Think they only made one of them.

Looking good. How did you date it as a '97? I have a medium and always assumed it was '98. Must get a couple of those top tube decals as they are the only ones that are scratched. I put a little tape on the inside of the twin lats where they cross the flattened bow tube, if you hammer it, there is enough flex that the two can touch. Mind you, the gap is slightly tighter one side to the other on my frame. I had a nice email from John Castellano explaining about the design and the difficulties of manufacturing them. The welder had Zen like patience to cope with trying to hold the alignment. I think he said the weld sequence changed dependant on where everything was moving to, so you had to steer it straight. Each frame took several days to build. They must have been a nightmare. I will try and find that email and make sure this is all correct. I rode mine with a fox fork, updated shock and crossmax wheels. It is now stripped for a birthday and rebuild into a more period correct trim. Good luck with the build- they are really good fun to ride.

Chris.

Hey Uncle Monty. I dated it based on the rear shock, decals, and the owner telling me it is a 97. Is there a way to tell? Thx for the interesting info regarding manufacturing, sadly I think they lost money on these. I can confirm the ride is as magical as people say.

Still collecting parts...just got these...actiontec els titanium rings..NOS to go with the NOS kooka crank

much more to come..

Attachments

• Action Tec - 44, 34, 25mm 5 Bolt ELS Chainrings (Front).jpg
    Action Tec - 44, 34, 25mm 5 Bolt ELS Chainrings (Front).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 530
Back