Headset queries (again!)

KenG

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi
After asking various questions regarding replacing the impact headset on my 91 Explosif I have one or two more just to finalise it all. I bought a nos Mavic 316 thinking it would be a straight replacement for the impact as according to Bikepro website the stack height is 39mm,the Mavic is adjustable from 38 to 44 mm stack height so job sorted, after disassembling the impact and measuring headtube (171) and steerer (203)length I'm left thinking I need a headset with a stack height of 32 mm, is that right?, if so the lovely Mavic well be up for grabs. :(

I guess you will either need to measure carefully, and believe your final result, or build it and see.......shame to not use the mavic, as they are a really lovely item to look at and use, but a kona without an impact is missing a part of its soul......can't you find a straight replacement?......

Hi feetabix

I stripped the Impact down to regrease only to find the crown race split and distorted,if I could find another crown race I could probably rebuild it,it really is hard finding a replacement quality headset without going down the King route,which I dont really want to do.

Is the top half good ?

What's your estimate on the lowers stack height.
Sorry the Mavic doesn't fit, I guess bikepro is wrong or the design was changed. I've just searched some more on this and as few old Jonas are sating 32/33mm stack. It is indeed very low.

Anyway if you can match the bottom stack to another then just use half and half.

The top half doesnt look too bad,I have an old Deore DX crown race that looks OK,I believe they used the same size bearings so I may give that a go.

cant believe it,just dug out the old DX headset ,cleaned up the crown race and noticed its got a split in it as well, now is that just bad luck or are crown races meant to have a split in them, both the Impact and DX splits are perfectly straight which is beginning to make me wonder!

KenG":2w6e65j4 said:
cant believe it,just dug out the old DX headset ,cleaned up the crown race and noticed its got a split in it as well, now is that just bad luck or are crown races meant to have a split in them, both the Impact and DX splits are perfectly straight which is beginning to make me wonder!

I've got an Impact headset I just pulled off a 94 Kilauea, It's not amazing, I'll have a close look at it and see if it any good. I'll be in touch later....

well here are some pics of the Impact I have:

Good news, it all seems to be there... Bad news the balls are pitted and need replacing, the crown race is also pitted and there is some early signs of pitting in the cups.

But I think with new balls it would run on for a while, even dry with the existing balls its not so bad as to be notchy.

Yours for the cost of the postage?

Attachments

• impact.JPG
    impact.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 363
  • impact (2).JPG
    impact (2).JPG
    120 KB · Views: 363
The Mavic is meant to have a split crown race I think. IIRC there is a crown race and a bearing seat which goes on top of the crown race.

Back