Wheelset dilemma - Advice welcome

Gracie

Retro Guru
I have a stunning wheelset left over from a project that is just not suitable for my current project as it is 700c and I need 27".

The wheelset consists of a matching pair of minty fresh Record hubs laced to Arc-en-Ceil Super Champion

IMGP1992%20-%20Copy.JPG

The way I see it I have three options....

1) Use these on the current project bike with longer drop brakes - Not keen on this as I believe the bike will look slightly odd having been made for a larger wheelset

B) Sell the wheelset and buy another with 27" rims - I just don't think I will find anything that looks quite as nice and clean as these do

iii) Find a minty set of NOS 27" rims and have them built on to these hubs and sell the Arc-en-Ceil rims - Shame to break up a fine wheelset that have been happily married and never really enjoyed for over 30 years

Admittedly it isn't the world's most significant issue but it is making my life more difficult than I usually like it.

What would you advise???

That option was left out for good reason! That is like offering a recovering alcoholic a sip from your hip flask :)

yeah, get another frame and build another bike around the wheels. best solution by far! :D :D :twisted:

not only that, you should feel embarrassed for not already having a spare frame just incase you found something on ebay that you don't need! :LOL:

Sell the wheels as these would sell pretty quickly as they are a great combo hub/rim

I'd go for....

1) Use these on the current project bike with longer drop brakes

I don't think it makes a discernable difference. For example, here's my mates Mercian with 27" Dunlops Rims and 27" x 1" tyres (first pic with Whitewalls)

and then with 700 Fiamme Rims and Vittoria Tubs

Look at the Brake Pad position. There's only millimeters difference.

The other thing is you are seriously limited on tyres with 27", especially if you want amber walls. 27" x 1/4"s just look like Mountain Bike tyres in my opinion.

Steve.

Attachments

• 14072013_a.JPG
    14072013_a.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 418
  • 01102013_b.JPG
    01102013_b.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 418
jonnyboy666":3jryc8d1 said:
not only that, you should feel embarrassed for not already having a spare frame just incase you found something on ebay that you don't need! :LOL:

I had a clear out earlier this year as it was all getting out of control, especially considering I do not have a garage or a shed and do have a very patient and understanding missus that was being pushed to the brink! I have promised to behave.....well until we move :LOL:

Ralph_the_Rohan":1fp7l7la said:
I'd go for....

1) Use these on the current project bike with longer drop brakes

I don't think it makes a discernable difference. For example, here's my mates Mercian with 27" Dunlops Rims and 27" x 1" tyres (first pic with Whitewalls)

and then with 700 Fiamme Rims and Vittoria Tubs

Look at the Brake Pad position. There's only millimeters difference.

The other thing is you are seriously limited on tyres with 27", especially if you want amber walls. 27" x 1/4"s just look like Mountain Bike tyres in my opinion.

Steve.

Please Please sort out your garden as its bordering on a local council tip :facepalm:

Back