Arran Road Circuit - Saturday November 2nd

Depart Ardrossan 09:45am arrive Brodick 10:40am

It's only a 56 mile route, should take 3 hours max plus cake stop :LOL:

Depart Brodick 16:40pm...sorted :shock:

The earlier sailing is 07:00am arriving Brodick at 07:55am if you think you need more time

I'll leave it up to the experts :?

The bad news...
I've just checked Scotrail, there are no trains available to get you to Ardrossan for the 07:00am ferry

The good news...
You can get an Off Peak Day Return for £8.30

Bad news
Long range forecast is wet, not damp but wet...but that could all change :cool:

Hawmaw":3q2t1kq8 said:
And winds of 24mph gusting to 30mph ....

47p2":3q2t1kq8 said:
It's only a 56 mile route, should take 3̶ ̶h̶o̶u̶r̶s̶ 3h 10m hours max plus cake stop :LOL:

In that case we better give ourselves a bit more time to get round

highlandsflyer":jt5686zf said:
Windfinder says 29, gusts up to 43!

Hope you are all fit!

Sounds like a nice day on Harris or up at Wick.

That should be good for one leg of the ride.

And if we cycle backwards for the other leg, that should be fast too. :)

If you dont ride your bike because of a bit of wind/rain/baw freezing temps/polar bears then you'll seldom ride your bike in Scotland !

Just to remind you, get the tailwind on the west side! The east is comparatively sheltered. If it does start taking its toll then a shortcut over the String road can be done, not that easy either BTW.

There is 2 short cuts, 'The Ross' minor road cuts cross country back to Lamlash, slow steady climb then scary steep descent into Lamlash. I did it in reverse on a hire bike some years ago, had to push up out of Lamlash but long pedal free descent of the other side on a hot sunny day, not like our plan.
Second option is from Blackwaterfoot back to Brodick via 'The String' road, again a long steady climb, tougher the closer you get to Brodick again followed by a steep descent into town. Again I did it in reverse last time I was there on my neon pink mtb, still ran out of gears half way up. Best way for either road is west to east so thats two bailout routes but neither a walk in the park.
After Blackwaterfoot, your committed to the long haul around the top but the sceneries worth it.

Oh yes and I confirmed with CalMac that Brodick Port Office has a left luggage office, this is important to me as I'm camping on Friday night but dont want to haul camping gear around Arran on Saturday.

Also my bike is the gas pipe Dawes due to build failures with a more modern bike I have in my shed so I fitted a touring triple to it to deal with the hills. I was undergeared on the 4 Abbeys Circuit, truthfully I was underfit but that combined with not low enough gears left me way at the back on any climb and struggling.

Here's hoping the forecast improves a wee bit by Saturday otherwise its dig out the wet weather gear.

Also remember lights just in case, we are planning a daylight only run but its best to be prepared just in case.

Back