ZOOM components

Early Zoom stuff is cool, They seemed to lose their way by the mid nineties but back in '91-3 it was the kit to have with your paper money... Me and all my mates had 150mm stems on our dinky 17" frames :oops: :LOL:

I also had a cable hanger (these are ace and still available NOS from a chap on Ebay in 1") as well as some brahma bars. My current winter hack is wearing some as I type :)

Plenty of NOS Zoom here; cheap too:
http://www.mtb-kult.de/catalogsearch/result/?q=zoom

Zoom was the first upgrade step if you had a low-mid level bike with standard components and could not afford Ritchey/Controltech/Syncros/Ringle. I liked the Ti-finish on them. However, as a thirteen year old, I saved a bit and then "invested" in a light Ritchey bar and a Controltech stem for my 1993 Cannondale M500. I was soooo proud! :LOL:

Rahbari":6krpavzz said:
Plenty of NOS Zoom here; cheap too:
http://www.mtb-kult.de/catalogsearch/result/?q=zoom

Zoom was the first upgrade step if you had a low-mid level bike with standard components and could not afford Ritchey/Controltech/Syncros/Ringle. I liked the Ti-finish on them. However, as a thirteen year old, I saved a bit and then "invested" in a light Ritchey bar and a Controltech stem for my 1993 Cannondale M500. I was soooo proud! :LOL:

Great link! Just got paid today – oh dear...

I can only echo skoliozas sentiments on P1 as I had all the parts pictured BiTD and the seatpost is still my favourite, featuring on two of my current bikes, as are the Brahma Bars on another three! :cool:

Zoom stuff was excellent.All the early carbon/weight weenie exotica had a limited lifespan.I wouldnt dis it due to its price.Besides,its pseudo ti look was pleasing to the eye. :)

feetabix":55610c3c said:
I've a completely impractical 150mm zoom stem on my fisher....steering the bike uses the same muscle group as a flymo would......titanium finish, love it to bits!.....the stem of the working class man!.....power to the people!.... :D

:LOL:

Bought a zoom "AL 110" bar when they first came out back in '91 I think kit was? I had low expectations as the brand was new, the claimed weight was ridiculously low and they felt as thick as a coke can.
3 years later I sold them with the bike, they'd been ridden daily and punished HARD ( no bouncy forks to cushion the blows)
Ended up being a big fan.

bren":1edd6yuk said:
Bought a zoom "AL 110" bar when they first came out back in '91 I think kit was? I had low expectations as the brand was new, the claimed weight was ridiculously low and they felt as thick as a coke can.
3 years later I sold them with the bike, they'd been ridden daily and punished HARD ( no bouncy forks to cushion the blows)
Ended up being a big fan.

The packaging design from the time had a certain "where's this brand come from and I'm not sure what the quality is going to be like" vibe, but after over 20 years on, my stem, post and brahma bars are still in heavy use. They were very light, great value for money bitd and have proved their worth over some of the exotic stuff. Big fan too.

Out of interest, is the new stuff made by the same company? I've picked up a new 'Zoom' seatpost for a tenner, and the logo does look very similar. It also looks very well made, machined shaft with forged clamps and very smooth anodising. Not especially light, but I'm not doing a weight-weenie build.

Latest posts

Back