The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Although I appreciate the stylistic implications of numerous additions to vintage velocipedes, it has been implied by another member that only wimps fit mudguards and that I should MTFU!

I shall be keeping mine on this for road training and on my MF for off road as both will be used throughout the winter months.

So does that make me a wuss or sensible? Or stylish?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 719
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 719
in my opinion, mudguards look crap but serve a purpose, (plus the old thing of its your bike do what you like) but not enough of a purpose that I would fit them. Off road the bike is gonna get covered in sh1t and so are you so mudguards wont make a difference but, on the commute? well you dont want the rooster tail over your hugo boss do ya?. that said I just wear waterproofs anyway on the commute and washable gear off road.
my vote....mtfu

Mudguards aren't pretty but my winter bike is keeping them on and yes they do serve a purpose, finished a pretty gruelling 24 miler yesterday with a totally clean and dry camelback, no shit up my back and the front crudcatcher is a god send for keeping the crap off your face and out of your eyes, no need to MTFU if you've fitted mudguards the chances are you actually intend riding in crap conditions rather than looking at the bike in the garage!

SDC10127_zps65e4fafb.jpg

SDC10126_zps7024acaa.jpg

You built the GT up to be a winter hack/training bike so why not fit the mudguards. It don't make you stylish but you ain't going to no fashion show :D

Crud catchers/guards don't really count as 'mudguards' do they? I'd never run close-fitting touring-style guards on a MTB regardless of whether it was used for commuting or off-roading, but that's just me.

I use one of my Univegas quite regularly for the 11 mile commute to and from work and wouldn't dream of riding it without guards as we don't have changing facilities at work.

I really like the look of a mtb in touring guise anyway.

I have a hosepipe for the bikes, a washing machine for my clothes and a nice hot bath for me, what do I need 'ohhh I don't want to get dirty' guards for.

Back