what makes my adroit an adroit?

Kleinola

Retro Guru
Hi, I have a klein adroit with the "T" in the serial number, fabrication year 96.

It doe not have the 2" down tube or typical "elevated" bottle holes.

So my question is: why did these frames get the adroit logo? Is there any actual differnce from the attitude frames?

I'm not a expert but from this site I 'think' emphasise THINK (being brave commenting on a Klein post)
That it's something to do with the switch over year. Lost my balls I'm getting my coat :LOL:

I've never owned a Klein but I've been on Retrobike for a while.

From what I've learned the frames differ slightly; your wrong 2" tube, your bottle bosses etc. but in essence they are all the same across the range, the builders would pick up whatever they had lying around on the bench, your 'T' in the serial was probably when he couldn't find a '7'. The builder knew full well that the paint guys would make it all good in the end.

This has been discussed many times, just use the search function.

Modelyear 97 Adroit frames (usually in Koi, usually produced in 96) were 96 Attitudes without the integrated bottom bracket and without the brazed on seat clamp. These frames do not "deserve" the name Adroit, if you ask me.

Modelyear 96 Adroit frames (usually in Burgundy Blue) without the 2inch downtube (bumps around the holes for the bottle holder) were 100% Attitude frames. However, the 96 Adroit was available with the Strata-Fork (boron, very light).

The reason for this was Trek wanting to make more money, I guess.

Some early modelyear 96/late 95 Adroit frames still had the 2inch downtube. However, no boron/carbon were used on the frame.

Only 1991-93 Adroits (holes in dropouts) had the boron/carbon on the frame.

Thanks for facts and theory that sounds correct, fun though with this Klein-family "bastard";)

Makes it even more interesting to keep in the stable.

Klein ran out of 2" downtubes around December of 1995 and basically used the same frame for the Attitude and Adroit going forward. Coincidentally, aside from the airheadset these frames are basically the same as the Pulse. The Pulse had suspension corrected geometry, but that's it.

The 'T' in your serial number denotes a 97 model year BTW.

Thank you for filling in!

Btw, do you or anyone have any uniklein fork that would fit this 19" frame? And yes, I know its not correct for a 97 ;)

Back