Best way to remove powder coat from a steel frame?

slimjoe

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Can any one offer any advice on removing powder coat from a fillet brazed Steel frame?

I dont think blasting is a good option with the brass fillets!!

Any ideas or peoples experiences appreciated ;)

nitromors does soften it and wire brush on grinder but its slow going , also 2 pack thinners softens it quicker but not the easiest thing to soak a bike frame , our local powdercoaters used to have a big container what they used for soaking parts in , theres also blasting it with bi carbonate of soda

I strip powder quite often, I use paint stripper.
Coaters will probably have a bath of either some propriety
stripper or methylene chloride.
I just whack a nice thick layer of stripper on and keep the thing
well covered, in stripper, and the powder comes off.
Here's a pitted brake plate off of my bike, I thought I could live with what the coating would look like over the pitting, I couldn't, so I had to strip the coating off and redo it.
As you can see the stripper is OK on powder.

Attachments

• stripper2.jpg
    stripper2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 512
  • stripper1.jpg
    stripper1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 512
I have had my Orange and both Cannondales shot blasted before powder coating.These days the blasters have a range of materials they can use with varying degrees of abrasiveness.Never worried about any of mine being blasted and it does give a good key for the paint.

Many many years ago I personally shotblasted my Claud Butler road bike,which had brazed lugs,and it survived the experience and went on for another ten years or so before I discovered the new fangled mountain bikes and skipped it.We had a medium which was suitable for surface blasting plastic mouldings to prepare them for painting.

I found that the new mix of nitromors actually worked better on powder than on paint ... ? :shock: :LOL:

From this :

To this :

WD :D

Thanks chaps. I have some basic nitromors so i will give it a go. The frame is a Curtlo so i dont want to risk the powder coaters blasting the crap out of the fillet brazing :shock:

Brass is harder than ally so any decent painter who preps ally frames will have no issues :D

I had silver solder in mine (soft) with no issues :D

WD :D

Back