saba frames - info?

I still have my Saba from purchased from Ken Bird Cycles in 1981. I've got all the original equipment stored except the Omas titanium B/B which was stupidly sold on Ebay last year. It's currently equipped with early-mid-90s Campag and I still enjoy riding it. Ken told me that the frames were built by Viner. I'll be happy to show a photo if anybody's interested and can tell me how to post it! If I remember rightly the importers at the time were called IRB - the initials of the boss, Italo. He was a bit of a wheeler-dealer, evidently, and bought Fuasto Coppi over to Herne Hill in the 50s. Ken Bird had one of Coppi's road bikes in his shop window at Green-Street-Green for a while.

Hi

Pics would be most appreciated......we never worked out who built for SABA back in the 70's when they were ridden by Ian Hallam.

I came across Viner frames at the Skol six day track events in the late 70's and have wanted one ever since :)

You can e-mail them to me at shaunwhitehead@aol.com and I'l try and post them here

Cheers

Shaun

Here's a pic of Master Xlight SABA ...........hopefully

30rpl05.jpg

Shaun

Well done, Shaun! The gunmetal grey is the original colour - the white panels aren't! Nicely finished by Vaz Enamellers of Hither Green, South London. Originally, it had three brake cable guides along the top tubes and Campag transmission guides on top of the b/b shell. Some of the Saba frames in Ken Bird's shop had no braze-on parts at all. I think mine was made in 1979; they weren't cheap and Ken had trouble shifting 'em.

I know what you mean about cost...........they were more than an aluminium ALAN and even more than a 753 Raleigh Professional back in 1978 |

Yours should have a little button on the seat stay near the rear mech to hang the chain on, SABA panto'd in the seat stay cluster and those little racing men cut out of the lugs.......let me know if you ever want to sell it :D

Shaun

Back