F**king cars

highlandsflyer":2pza39qu said:
Incidentally what was so flawed about the original Beetle??? I mean, compared to the other cars around at the time.

Hot,, noisy , cramped, slow, appalling space efficiency, thirsty, shit handling...
even by 1950s standards.

I'll regret saying this but I've done 10,000 miles since 23rd of August with just the diesel particulate light coming on twice.

As a couple have said you really need to get the car to a garage and get it checked out to see where you are. The fixes listed could be any number of things from trivial to expensive. I'd not be taking an internet diagnosis at this point.

As for selling a the mondeo and buying something cheap for under a grand (or whatever) I'd think twice about that, no guarantee you'll not have to start putting money into that at some point. In fact you can guarantee you'll have to.

Cars cost money, the mondeos are generally good cars so unless it's very costly I'd think about getting it sorted.

Can't imagine there have been many vehicles produced since 1990 with some form of 'computerization' or ECU.

legrandefromage":1vh9sm0a said:
I'll regret saying this but I've done 10,000 miles since 23rd of August with just the diesel particulate light coming on twice.
I guess You fill up,before light goes on, often?

Alison.....
On fords when the glow light comes on and stays on, it is quite often an engine fault warning.

in your case I suspect it is in limp mode and very much suspect it is an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) fault, often because they block up with oily sooty gunk, commen on older diesel's.

Or an injector fault, maybe blocked slightly, get some diesel injector cleaner from a car parts place or Halfords (whynns is a good choice)

But yes an diagnostics is most likely required.

As for the wiper issue, possibly a dodgy earth due to corrosion, again fords known for it, or its the wiper stalk playing up, would most likely need replacing.

Hope that helps :)

raleighrider21..........
I would suspect your girlfriends issues are down to a corroded fues box on the inner wing under the bonnet on the right hand side, the c2 is known for the fues box filling with water due to badly desighned drain off when it rains, ciroen know its an issue :roll:

Cars eh :facepalm:

suburbanreuben":3gl3fe7k said:
Hot,, noisy , cramped, slow, appalling space efficiency, thirsty, shit handling...
even by 1950s standards.

No human being has ever been too warm in an air cooled VW. Other than that, pretty much true. Type 3s are loads better than the beetle.

Friendly local garage, or a mobile electrician, will very likely plug in the magic box for nowt - I've never been charged for a diagnostic. Then take it from there with a bit more concrete knowledge (and see who's guessed right!).

I can only echo what a lot have said , call a small local or mobile guy , ask how much to plug in and read the codes before doing anything .
It could just be a blocked fuel filter , this will cause fuel starvation and " holding back" also as the temp drops any water trapped in the filter can freeze and diesel fuel itself can become thick and waxy again causing the problem .as someone else sais it could also be EGR .
The wipers sound like a switch or a control/ relay maybe .
even if you can only get the codes just google them and you will get an answer . :D
Cheers Paul

suburbanreuben":36cowr4i said:
highlandsflyer":36cowr4i said:
Incidentally what was so flawed about the original Beetle??? I mean, compared to the other cars around at the time.

even by 1950s standards.

Slow? Through the gears maybe yes but there's more to it... Acceleration was poor due to tall gearing and large diameter wheels as it was designed for German Autobahns, but in sustained high speed cruising they were almost untouchable among 'affordable cars' when the M1 was first opened. Boy racers in low geared water cooled Fords and Austins used to overheat and blow gaskets trying in vain to stick with the fast cruising Beetles. You needed a Jag or something to outrun a Beetle - and stay in front. But cramped and sh*t handling yes!

Back