1988 sierra xt ( all kuwahara content):)

Re: new retro bike tomorrow!!!!! ( kuwahara content):)

Thanks guys can't wait to clean it all up and ride it:) I plan on this one being my main retro riding bike for commuting to work and trail riding.

I'm not sure what the story behind the mallard hubs are. I know they are used mostly on road bikes but they seem plenty strong so I'm just going to leave them on. The guy who had the bike before me weighs about 40 pounds more than me and was doing 3 foot drops no problem :s :p any one have any info on the mallard hubs?

That's my favourite bike on this site in a while, love it.

I have a set of wheels off an 87 or 88 Raleigh Ozark with maillard hubs, they must have been doing decent MTB hubs around that time.

I had some time today to go over the bike a little more today. The only thing that needs to be replaced is the chain, chain rings, and rear free wheel. Did some digging through my parts bin and found this new old stock shimano 600 free wheel. Might put this on and see how it feels. As far as the chain and chainrings looks like they will have to be new peices.
Also if any one has any more info about the bike that would be great.

IMAG0341_BURST002_zps1bd6e77b.jpg

I found this post from yettiman on another thread

yeti-man
 Post subject: Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:21 am 
Retro Guru

They made beautiful bikes back in the days. I do not know them at all nowdays. The brand was a well known BMX brand, and the bike Elliot used in the movie ET was a Kuwahara. I think there was a Kuwahara MTB team in the mid/late 80s.

Here is a nice Grasshopper http://www.cycleexif.com/kuwahara-grasshopper

Kuwahara was founded in Osaka, Japan in 1918 by Sentaro Kuwahara. It was a family run business with help from his wife and eight children that made and sold bicycles and bike parts at first in his neighborhood, then growing and expanding more. In 1925 Kuwahara began to export bicycles and parts to Russia, China and Southeast Asia. Kuwahara closed their doors for business temporarily from 1940 till 1945 due to World War II. In 1947 Kuwahara reopened again for business and Sentaro Kuwahara became the first chairman of the board of directors of the first bicycle wholesale association in Japan. In 1959 the very first and small shipment of bicycles were delivered to the USA. Sadly in 1960 founding company president Sentaro Kuwahara passed away and his Son, Masao Kuwahara took over in his place. In 1962 Kuwahara se nt it's first shipment of APOLLO brand sport (10speed or 12speed road racing) bicycles to Canada. In 1968 Kuwahara started exporting bicycles to the USA as private label bikes for other companies such as Schwinn, Takara, Puch, Concord, Apollo, Azuki and others. Kuwahara had never produced their own Kuwahara brand bike outside of Japan until 1972 when Kuwahara began developing BMX bicycles for the US, Canada, European and Australian markets. During the middle 1970's the BMX boom had started and Kuwahara was regularly exporting Kuwahara brand BMX's to these countries.

Also after looking into it looks like my bike might be a 88 not an 87 ( could use some help in that one) it was the top model with Ishiwata CrMo quadruple butted tubing and hand made in their Japan factory in Osaka. The bike seems quite lite im guessing sub 27 pounds. I have ridden it around the parking lot and I really like the geometry , seems quite layed back. Just need the new chain and chain rings to go with the free wheel I have so I can get some real riding in on it. :p

No it has the 730 pedals. It makes sense from the brakes that its a 88. There is also a 88 stamped on the maillard hubs which after seeing another one online makes me think they are original along with the rims :D crazy how the bike stayed all original after 25 years the original owner must have loved this one. I must have somthing quite rare and special then eh? I have only seen 2 like mine on the internet and neither look as original or good as this one if I may say so myself. The only other one on this site was almost solid black with only a little yellow showing in the crackle.

Here is the full spec if any one is wondering

Frame: 1988 kuwahara sierra xt hand made in Osaka Ishiwata CrMo quadruple butted tubing

Fork: tange mtb

Headset: kuwahara
Stem: kuwahara
Handlebar: strong bar made in japan
Grips: ritchey true grips 2
Barends: n/a

Brakes: front shimano xt 730 cantilever. Rear shimano xt 730 u brake
Brake Pads: shimano xt
Brake Cables: unknown
Cantilever cable hangers: shimano
Brake Levers: shimano xt 730

Shifters: shimano xt 730
Front Derailleur: shimano xt730 bottom pull
Rear Derailleur: shimano xt 730
Derailleur Cables: unknown
Cassette: unknown
Chain: unknown
Cranks: shimano xt 730
Crank Bolts: shimano xt
Chainrings: shimano xt biopace ll
Chainring bolts: shimano xt
Bottom Bracket: shimano xt
Pedals: shimano xt 730

Hub Skewers:maillard
Rims: matrix single track made in usa
Hubs: maillard 500 sealed mechanism
Nipples: unknown
Spokes: unknown stanless steel
Tyres:toiga wonder dog

Saddle: vetta gel
Seatpost: kuwahara
Seatpost Binder: suzue

Weight:approximately 28 pounds

When I get the parts in the chian rings will be modern blackspire chain rings, chain will be shimano, grips will be ritchey true grips, and cassette will be shimano 600. I will keep all the parts to preserve the authenticity of the bike. The new parts are just to make it rideable.

Back