Tell me if this bit looks right?!!

Gtpulse

Dyna-Tech Fan
Bought a frame recently, 531 badged, Argos refurbished. It's steel and of lugged construction, I thought it looked fairly well made without viewing in person. While stripping down to polish up etc I noticed the tops
of the seat stays look in my opinion, poorly finished. The bit I'm talking about is where the top of the stays are mitered, the "cap" if that's the right word, is much bigger than the top of the stay and has overlap all around it. On other steel frames I've got this part is made exactly to the dimensions of the mitred stay and has no overlap, and finishes flush. The rest of the frame is ok quality wise, is it a particular builders mark or just shoddy?!!

Untitled by gtpulse78, on Flickr

Well it's badged as a Dave Quinn - I know he wasn't a frame builder so wasn't too worried if it turns out to be something else. On the bottom bracket there is a numerical frame number on one side and "TT" stamped in a separate place to the frame number. Any idea what the "TT" refers to? Is it a make of bottom bracket shell ? The few references to this mark on the internet make reference to - "time trial" - no it's definitely not; "true temper" - fairly sure it's not either, also that it's a mark used by the painter to indicate it is a frame that has been refurbished - possible as it's got an Argos sticker on.

Post a pic of the BB number.......we stamped all sorts things onto the bottom bracket from the owners initials, date of birth, postcode etc. The frames we sent off for refinishing never had anything stamped..

Shaun

Back