snap crackle & pop! GT frame id

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Kindly donated by weeman_mtb at the recent FoD meet (in exchange for something next time we meet!), one steel non Zaskar GT.

1" head tube with interesting hooded Spinner XC dropouts. Internal rear brake routing. Not a standard round tube on it -I have no reason to believe that the Deore U-brake is anything other than original as it dates from late 1987 (LK)

Great paint scheme with just the hint of the original decals.

When this frame was ready for the 1988 season and compared to the '87 Dawes out of shot, the Dawes looks ancient.

Not building it up just yet, not without a GT flipflop stem - it just wouldnt look right.

Attachments

• wot GT 1.jpg
    wot GT 1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 300
  • wot GT 2.jpg
    wot GT 2.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 300
  • wot GT 3.jpg
    wot GT 3.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 300
In the 89 model year they did that color again in the Timberline...after looking at your semi-sloping rear dropouts I'm thinking your frame may actually be an 89 Timberline frame that was perhaps made in late 88? Karakoram had a nicer rear dropout from what I recall. Your rear brake is up top though and the 89 Timberline catalog shot shows it underneath.

Attachments

• GT-News-11.2.JPG
    GT-News-11.2.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 253
They didn't have flip flop stems in 88...they were using internal roller stems back then. They did make the flip-flop in 1" by 90 because they had them on the Tachyon and Continuum. Will check my quiver I may have something.

and mine has the nice spinner fork? plus original Deore too - they look original and the date codes match the age of the frame. Plus the timberline has two sets of cable guides on the downtube whereas mine has one.

legrandefromage":3qqhc7cz said:
Evening!

I'll have to sort you something decent now then!
Evening yourself. No worries mate, to be fair I pretty much forced the frame on you anyway!

weeman_mtb":16ogtfnh said:
legrandefromage":16ogtfnh said:
Evening!

I'll have to sort you something decent now then!
Evening yourself. No worries mate, to be fair I pretty much forced the frame on you anyway!

I still have the bruises...

well, that settles it - I think the Dawes may become a donor!

Back