1987 Suntour XC 9000 groupset. ALL SORTED

Re: Suntour XC 9000 (NOS or very close)

Swede":34wz8vec said:
Question... I've downloaded the 1988 Suntour brochure and the XC9000 front mech only came in Ø28mm or Ø28.6mm (see pic), I've also found a picture of an '87 SM800 with an XC9000 front mech. So can I assume that a 28.6 will fit my '87 'dale? I'm thinking that it will probably be ok but...

Hi Swede,

If your seatpost is 27.2mm and the front mech is 28.6mm that would mean a seat tube wall thickness of 0.7mm. I'm not an expert on early Cannondales, but I reckon thats a bit thin for an aluminium seat tube!
Surely it must be 31.8? We already know the catalogue has info missing on XCD6000, so I wouldn't be surprised if the XC9000 info was the same.

Can you measure the saet tube?

Cheers,
Andrew

andyz":276vd3y7 said:
Swede":276vd3y7 said:
Question... I've downloaded the 1988 Suntour brochure and the XC9000 front mech only came in Ø28mm or Ø28.6mm (see pic), I've also found a picture of an '87 SM800 with an XC9000 front mech. So can I assume that a 28.6 will fit my '87 'dale? I'm thinking that it will probably be ok but...

Hi Swede,

If your seatpost is 27.2mm and the front mech is 28.6mm that would mean a seat tube wall thickness of 0.7mm. I'm not an expert on early Cannondales, but I reckon thats a bit thin for an aluminium seat tube!
Surely it must be 31.8? We already know the catalogue has info missing on XCD6000, so I wouldn't be surprised if the XC9000 info was the same.

Cheers,
Andrew

Hi Andrew

Since then I've acquired an NOS Ø28mm front mech and there's no way it's going to fit and neither would a Ø28.6mm, so I'm pretty sure I'm looking for a Ø31.8mm but Suntour didn't offer them in 1987 (at least that's what the brochure says...). I got in touch with Melvin to ask him about his SM800 http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... amp;t=9424 but it’s been sold, so I’m not going to get any info from that anytime soon. You can remove the cage from the clamp by unscrewing the top pivot pin and disengaging the spring; so maybe I could use an XC Pro clamp?

Swede":f4uyqvqh said:
andyz":f4uyqvqh said:
Swede":f4uyqvqh said:

Hi Swede,

Cheers,
Andrew

Hi Andrew

Since then I've acquired an NOS Ø28mm front mech and there's no way it's going to fit and neither would a Ø28.6mm, so I'm pretty sure I'm looking for a Ø31.8mm but Suntour didn't offer them in 1987 (at least that's what the brochure says...). I got in touch with Melvin to ask him about his SM800 http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... amp;t=9424 but it’s been sold, so I’m not going to get any info from that anytime soon. You can remove the cage from the clamp by unscrewing the top pivot pin and disengaging the spring; so maybe I could use an XC Pro clamp?

There are loads of XC pro/comp 31.8mm mechs about on ebay. That would at least keep you going until you find the correct one.
A guy in Poland always has them for sale.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Sunto ... 0986734335
You have to ask him as he doesn't state the size in the advert.

Cheers,
Andrew

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Suntour XC 9000 (I'll now consider anything!)

Anyone got a photo of the top pivot of one of these? Looking at the few photos I've seen I think the cage is riveted on rather than screwed?

Swede":2b2snnmv said:
Anyone got a photo of the top pivot of one of these? Looking at the few photos I've seen I think the cage is riveted on rather than screwed?

I'll try and take a look at mine tonight.

This guy in the states has some interesting stuff:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-Sunto ... 43c08c01f7

and brakes / thumbies (might be a bit early for you tho)

And

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archemist":2aqkvv5r said:
Swede":2aqkvv5r said:

I'll try and take a look at mine tonight.

This guy in the states has some interesting stuff:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-Sunto ... 43c08c01f7

and brakes / thumbies (might be a bit early for you tho)

And

Thanks, spotted this lot today during my morning eBay scan. I'm pretty much there with all the components it's just the brakes and mech to sort. I'm now fairly certain that Suntour did make a 31.8 but they just didn't advertise them, which is going to make finding one fun!

I have a Suntour XC 9000 front derailleur in 31.8.

I'm in California.

My thread.

It looks a little grungy in the picture, but I have cleaned it up since then.

TwigJumper":1lz8sk2t said:
I have a Suntour XC 9000 front derailleur in 31.8.

I'm in California.

My thread.

It looks a little grungy in the picture, but I have cleaned it up since then.

That solves that mystery then :D. They did make them but didn't advertise them. Any chance you could send me some more pictures?

Sen's front mech has arrived and there's no doubt that it what I've been after :D. It's date stamped 1987 (D), October (J) and I've put some pictures up of it compared to my Ø28mm. But why would Suntour choose not to tell people this? I guess we'll never know.

Anyway all I need now is some parts for the roller cams and I'm finished. I think I'll change the title of the post.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 479
  • XC9000 front mechs.JPG
    XC9000 front mechs.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 479
  • XC9000 front mech.jpg
    XC9000 front mech.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 479
Re: Suntour XC 9000 roller cams. Any condition considered!

I'm glad I could help!

It was taken off a 1990 StumpJumper M2, by the way.

Back