Classic frame + modern groupset = verboten?

I think the mix of lots of carbon with lugged steel looks odd, likewise very deep wheels. Campag's high polish finish tends to work better.

I had this quandary, my Klein was 91, the Shimano 600 was nice but I lost a badge and it looked ugly, and then a 97 Dura Ace groupset came up and I upgraded my bike. I kind of think that I sold out, but it works so much better

Now that pic is all wrong. Alright part wrong. The shifters don't look right with those bars.
Trad bars don't have the shape for modern shifters. A newer bar would give a smoother shape.
Rear cable too long and the cranks need polishing.
I want one!

Some interesting thoughts.

I think the Campag 9/10 speed in alloy looks good (second generation Ergos with the rounded rather than pointy tops to the hoods) partly because it offers a fairly classical silhouette. Being contrary however, I'm less taken with the 11 speed Athena mainly because of the horn shaped hoods on the Ergos but also down to the chainset which I guess is one of the points the eye is naturally drawn to. Agree about lots of carbon and an old frameset though, really jars.

Where does that leave me? Who knows.

Latest posts

Back