Frame ID Help Mercian? Brooks? Nervex Lugs

Lance10

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone,

Just to introduce myself, my name is Laurence and I am new to the forum. Have been ammassing a collection of bike bits for a few years now so thought it was time to join up and say hello!

Would love some help identifying a frame that I have acquired recently. It is believed to be maybe early 60's and is built with Nervex Lugs. The person I purchased the frame from mentioned that it might be a Brooks frame? although It looks similar to a lot of older Mercians.

Serial no. 1066

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

P.s sorry, some of the photos are the wrong way up!!

Looks like a top class frame. The nervex pro was a very popular lug set, used by probably hundreds of frame builders.
It looks mid 1960s, neat brazings including handlebar controls. A real wrapover seat cluster. And slightly unusual, round forks.
Someone might recognise the numbering sequence. Gearge Brooks did not make frames, just numbered them.

Yep, classy frame :} nice diamonds finishing the rear brake bridge which usually meant good builder. Do the forks have eyes for mudguards on the dropouts like the rear..........not sure they match the frame? any pics of the forks themselves?

Anything on the bottom bracket?

Shaun

What they ^^ said... plus...

Respray commissioned by a Philistine some time in the late '80s? That's the 1980s, not the 1080s..

Seriously though, chances are that before that was done, this frame got blasted back to bare metal. OTOH, If it was a DIY job, the original finish, or what remained of it, may still be underneath. If you remove that garish orange/white fade very slowly and carefully, especially in the likely locations- front of headtube, sides of downtube, etc.,- the original transfers, or the ghosts of them, may reveal themselves.

Please don't get it blasted- the evidence of provenance, such as may be there- will disappear for ever.

@midlife yes the forks have eyelets on the mudguards and the dropouts are Campagnolo.

@torqueless think it must have been a DIY job because it has a canary yellow layer of paint underneath the vulgar 80's paint job. I had a quick sand on the headtube and couldn't see any decals but will have a more thorough look in the coming days.

@bagpuss I have a feeling it might be a Holdsworth because the person I purchased this from also sold me a early 80's Holdsworth Nuovo Record, so perhaps they were a bit of a fan..

Thanks for all the help so far,
Laurence

Back