Gear cable change Rapidfire M-738

WayneO

Devout Dirtbag
OK, ashamed to admit I'm bamboozled by this but.....

I snapped a gear cable a couple of days ago, went to change it tonight. I bought this bike built, it has, I tihnk, M-738 Rapidfire integrated shifters/levers.
Started looking for hole, or screw covering hole to replace cable , but cannot see it on either the shifter with a broken cable, or one with a cable? I look on other shifters and it's obvious, but this one.....

Is there a trick here? Do I need to remove the shifter pod or something? Does anyone have a picture, link or simple instructions

going from memory, but there is a hole, not covered by a grub screw. it is towards the rear of the curved housing, under the indicator and clamp. when the shifter is is one of the extremes, first or 8th, you will be able to see the end of the cable nestled in the white plastic hole. sometimes it gets a little stuck. Cut your cable about 4 inches from the barrel adjuster. Click your shifter into either 1st or 8th and wiggle and push the gear cable backwards.

this picture clearly shows the holes your cable should be coming out of. through which you can see the white platicky bit that rotates and pulls the cable as you click the trigger

you replace the cable in the same position.

its best to use a brand new cable to replace as the sealed end aids it going through the little hole and out through the barrel adjuster

really sorry for the non technical description, but i know what i mean in my mind

Attachments

• xt combos 2.jpg
    xt combos 2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 333
If they are M738 STIs then the hole should be fairly obvious and easy to find as shown in Charlie's photos.

If however you have M739 STIs (which are the V-brake compatible version) then the you need to remove the cable cover to access the cable.
Be aware that the cover is held on with two tiny cross head bolts which are very easy to damage. You'll need to use a decent quality, correctly sized screwdriver to remove them.

You can see the cable cover and bolts in these images:

DSCF1072.jpg

Image.Shimano98.gif

They were indeed m-739, so my search for a grub screaw was indeed fruitless. Anyway thanks for the above help - i know have a working rear mech and a correctly id'ed shifter.

drystonepaul":37x2jng8 said:
If they are M738 STIs then the hole should be fairly obvious and easy to find as shown in Charlie's photos.

If however you have M739 STIs (which are the V-brake compatible version) then the you need to remove the cable cover to access the cable.
Be aware that the cover is held on with two tiny cross head bolts which are very easy to damage. You'll need to use a decent quality, correctly sized screwdriver to remove them.

You can see the cable cover and bolts in these images:

DSCF1072.jpg

Image.Shimano98.gif

What he said...don't worry I was stumped too with my 1st set of these!!

Latest posts

Back