Which bomber fork is better on my Blizzard?

shutter

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So after getting more into mountain bikes I have decided to re-do my 96 blizzard... (Frame courtesy of RockiMtn)

Here's three forks I have... One came factory on a modern oxygen race (it has the blue crown), the other two are random ones I have on random frames... I know very little about suspension forks...

I attached a pic of the blizzard as it is now for reference... Right now it has a LX group but I will put a modern XT group on it with V brakes and newer Mavic cross max wheels

Since building this one I have acquired a number of other Rockies all with original rigid forks... So if I'm to have front suspension on one then this is to be it..

Any suggestions or opinions would be great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 374
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 374
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 374
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 374
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 374
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 374
Nice to see someone else is completing a Blizzard as well..!

Esthetically I'd go for the black fork, but I have no clue how the performance of the different forks you have available compares (if that matters :) ).

I'm building mine with either Syncros Powerlites (for on-road commuting) or an RS Mag21 (for off-road use).

Looking forward to seeing this develop; have fun building and riding!

BTW is that the original seat clamp? Is it a 30.0mm one?

E

Thanks! I want to know which fork is the best for performance and quality =)

I was going to put on a power lite as I have a couple spares but they will mess up the geometry as the frame is suspension corrected. If you are going rigid I would recommend a Kona project 2 rigid fork or an original steel rocky one like I have pictured... Both of which are somewhat suspension corrected forks. The mag 21 I believe would be the perfect fit to match the frame geometry...

What size is your frame? I will not be needing this one anymore since I'm going to suspension...

I believe the seat clamp is original...

The frame I have is a 17.5", here it is in its current state.

p4pb10233382.jpg

And is that seat clamp 30.0mm, as I'm looking for one..?

E

Lookin good with the Syncros fork! If you are riding on streets then the geometry shouldn't be affected too much =)

How would I check the clamp size?

Isn't the size printed/stamped on the clamp somewhere..?

A 31.8mm clamp I have is too large, while a 28.6mm is too small so it should be somewhere around 30.0mm.
According to the net, this size clamp is required on steel frames more often.

Black would be a better clour match plus it looks less travel so wont mess up geo if bike is designed for rigid fork

02gf74":32580r2r said:
Black would be a better clour match plus it looks less travel so wont mess up geo if bike is designed for rigid fork

Thanks! It's designed for a short travel fork so you are right, black one is probably a good choice

I was leaning that way =)

Latest posts

Back