storing a bike when not in use? deflate tyres??

If you don't use a bike for a few months you may develop an unsightly bulge.

20 psi will keep shape without stressing anything.....or turning bike upside down or hanging up will keep tyre shape if possible?....

Not clear on this, what does deflating tyres do that will be better than having them full of pressurised air. Surely air filled retain their shape as you'd want it as opposed to pinched sidewalls due to weight of bike or wheel ?

I agree, just perhaps not enough to promote cracking in the tyre if it's getting on a bit and possibly in conditions that may not help.....

Leave the air in but lift the bike up so that the wheels are not touching the ground would be my serious suggestion....(riding it in this position might be fun :LOL: )
You could also make sure it is good and dry and spray a little WD40 on greasy bits and cables before putting it away.

Perhaps what I've written is horse shite!....I tend to use a tyre at about 40psi off-road, mainly because I'm not the slimmest of chaps and it stops pinch flatting.......it would make sense if a tyre were to be long term stored I would think to let it down a bit.....I guess what your saying is that if pressure in a tyre would damage it then the tyre isn't worth storing in the first place?.....makes sense.....

I personally see no reason, most are rated up to around 35 to 60PSI
Not even a hot room is going to cause any bother
Letting them down just means they have a flat section they sit on, which may/may not damage the tyre.

Far harsher things happen when riding it or even when they are folded when you buy them.

Why did you ask ?

Some air(regardless of amount) is always better. My 2 penneth is to remove the seatpost, stops it seizing in and allow any vapour to leave the frame.

Back