old school mavic headset need help!

humdinger

Devout Dirtbag
Hi guys,
i have s bit of a problem removing a stem from my peugeot frame and was wondering if anyone has the tools to remove a magic headset. Its the old one that has vertical splines rather than taking a spanner like any normal headset. If so would anyone be willing to lend them to me
i would obviously pay postage to and from
i have read about alternative options that people have used and tried them to no avail. I need the real thing.
hopefully releasing the headset will allow me to get the stem out a bit easier.
i can post some pictures if you are unsure of which headset i am refering to
hope someone can help

thanks

matt

A headset of any 'normal' (ie not Aheadset) shouldn't have any effect on removing a stem. If you're having a problem it is possibly corroded in. There are many suggested ways of removing a stem in this condition. Thankfully - so far - I've not needed any of them.

I take it you've tried the usual starters - WD40/Plusgas inside and out, Coca-cola down the inside of the head tube, large vice?

Yes ive tried all the usual stuff, in asking about the tool incase this may help, the headset bearings are knackered as well so its got to come off whatever. If i have to resort to chopping the stem and hammering it out or getting someone with a blow torch involved, i will need the headset off as well so just a plea for help if anyone has the tools

Use to have some 20 years ago.and they where bloody expensive then for a pair.but as ned says you should not need to loosen the headset to get the stem out. The bearings are really small balls in nylon racers ,i would guess about 3mm diameter. No idea where to get them from

If you're really keen/obsessive/desperate, get some steel, a hacksaw, a drill and some files and make the tool.

After loads of penetrating oil down the underside of the steerertube and left to soak.
Have you hammered it, really hammered it, with a large rod/bar and hefy metal hammer?
Bolt put of stem of course.

I know nothing of the headset as I only know the 315 style of early 90's
So I see the 300 and 310 of the mid 80's use as tool similar to the modern HT2 bottom bracket tools 671 672.
More just for my learning than anything :)

Headsets
http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/mavic/ ... 7and28.jpg
Tools
http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/mavic/ ... 3and44.jpg

Also just bash the headset off, it's only Aluminium.
If the bearings are knackered enough to know they are knackered, the races will be knackered as well.

Back