correct chain length

bilsea159

Retro Newbie
I have a new chain shimano hg40 that needs fitting to my univega alpina 5.3. Does anyone know how many links are required for the correct chain length. Currently the new chain has 116 links.

Fit it, then put chain on small (granny) ring on cranks. Then, put chain on lowest(smallest) cog on the cassette.

From here look at the rear mech, in the general area of the jockey wheels. Does the chain at the lowest point touch the top jockey wheel? If there is a gap, doesn't matter how big or small , just any gap, then chain is fine as it is.
But, generally it's too long so use your hands to gather up a few links until the rear mech cage pulls forward and, therefore creates a gap between chain and top jockey wheel. From here you be able to determine how many links to take out, if necessary.

cheers.

Largest cog and largest chainring method:

Without running it through the rear derailleur, run the loose chain around the largest cog/sprocket and the largest chainring. Pull the ends tight together and note the closest rivet where the two ends could be joined. From that point, count/include an extra 2 or 3 links and that should give you the length to shorten to. Once all connected, the rear derailleur should operate at a 45 degree angle pointing forwards, when on the largest cog and largest chainring together. This method seems to work fine each time. See the Park Tools website for more guidance...

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... gth-sizing

I've used Marc two tone's method on my bikes and customer's bikes for 40yrs plus. I believe less tension through the derailleur is easier on the chain and freewheel/cassette!
Cheers

Cool, no problem. I tried the large cog/large ring method at time when I was experiencing a lot of chain slip/odd gear shifting and it seemed to cure it after I'd tried other options.

Large - Large till tight then add 2 links for general use. (like on the Park website)
It is the Shimano way.

Pop to their website.

Back