Newest MTB in the Fleet

citrixccea

Retro Guru
Having had a discussion with my eldest daughter, who helped me with my recent Raleigh Banana restoration
(viewtopic.php?f=23&t=246483), about how her current bike was looking a bit small, and did she want something New and Shiny, or Something Old and Cool.

Straight away as quick as you like she said "Something Old and Cool definitely dad".... I've had a series 3.0 'dale since 1995, and she's given me great service, so I really wanted to get her a 'dale.

So I've managed N=N+1 again

I've yet to pick up the bike yet, but thought I'd put it out there for comment and direction. The bike needs tyres and tubes, a front brake lever and calliper, and some TLC.

Any suggestions guys, I was thinking of extending the red & yellow theme to tyres and grips ?

Oh, and you won't tell her will you :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331024541499? ... 1439.l2649

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Nice work, let me know if the brake is borked as I am after an m525 left hand lever - alternatively I have a right hand lever & hose if you can get your hands on a spare caliper ;)

Quick update - thanks to my mate James for picking the bike up - under instruction to check the frame for cracks, and did the fork feel smooth.

Frame's in really good condition - nothing that concerns me too much, Paint a bit battered, but again after a decent clean up it's much improved. I'll take it into Halfrauds and get a colour match touch-up.

I decided to share the project with Ollie, and she's really chuffed with it - I think she's probably more interested in the riding part though.

Only gremlin I could spot was a broken rear spoke, and related slight buckle to the wheel, nothing that won't be addressed.

Since then I've taken off the cranks, and stripped and polished them. I'm not going for the same level of finish as that "other" bike.

Wheel rims are a little scabby, but this is cosmetic only, probably look to get some stickers on them.

I do need a Front right hand disc brake set, ideally an M525 to fit a 160mm rotor. As I'm not that experienced with hydraulics (my Magura Rim's on my 'dale have never ever needed any attention), I'm going to try to get a complete set, pre-bled and hosed. Ideally I'd like black with a silver lever, but I've still got plenty of oven cleaner left if it's black/black !

Tyres and tubes, chain are all sourced quite reasonably, Saddle and pedals are going to be borrowed from the least used bike in the house (the missuses)

So, having fitted new CST tyres and tubes, it seems this bike is still a little on the large side for Ollie - she's tall for 9 years old, but it'll be next spring at the earliest before she gets to try her bike out. Don't worry though because I've kindly offered to ensure it's fully tested. Just waiting on a full brake set (F&R) that I sourced from ebay

Sure thing - still plenty to be done. looks like my ebay deal on the disc brake sets might not happen after all. Nothing delivered and no response to my ebay case.... darn it !

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 352
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 352
All built - still got some tuning to do, but overall made some great progress today. The Bikes not going to get any smaller, so Ollies agreed to get a lttile taller. I did most of the test riding, and felt quite at home until I flipped the stem and sunk the seat post.

Attachments

• photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 323
Looks great & she looks happy with it too, been sorted a lot quicker than my Cannondale project.... ho hum

Back