How to clean rust from inside seat tube and fit wider post?

Hi all!

Rain had crept into seat tube to form rust. However the black-coated post 27.0 was fine until I put it into a vice to remove it. That's how seized it was!

The replacement post is 27.2

Any tips please about treating the inside of the seat tube especially if it means that the replacement post fits, so much the better.

Of course I shall apply liberal coats of copper grease to prevent seizing in the future.

Thanks in anticipation
CHoD

Re: How to clean rust from inside seat tube and fit wider po

Firstly, clean the inside of the tube. I hang the frame upside down, leave to dry out then use fine sandpaper mounted on a stick to clean the sides. Brush clean afterwards.

IF your 27.2 seatpost fits when dry and doesn't rattle, then use it. If it doesn't, then buy the right size (27.0). There is no point in reaming bigger, you will simply weaken the seat tube. Reaming is only designed to take out small amounts of ovalisation.

Keeping it in the family I see ;-)

sorry not a reamer ...a hoaner like this it fits on my battery drill ,the gt 85 is a good lube and you have to make sure you don't bring it up as far as the slit in the frame as it rips the stone off :)

Attachments

• index-1270861818.jpeg
    index-1270861818.jpeg
    3.9 KB · Views: 279

johntomjoe":23n9cocc said:
sorry not a reamer ...a hoaner like this it fits on my battery drill ,the gt 85 is a good lube and you have to make sure you don't bring it up as far as the slit in the frame as it rips the stone off :)

That looks neat!

A quick Google search of tool suppliers has drawn a blank. Where can I purchase one from?

Latest posts

Back