ZOOM components

I'm not sure if this is the very same brand that manufactures suspensions. If so, my advice is to avoid them. They look cheap and they are prone problems.

Zoom: Right thing on this bike IMO:

Never had any issue with any of their components. Not posers kit.

The stems are an iconic mark of the '90's to me.

How many of these stems still have their original top caps? :D

saulus":1q4z6gko said:
Zoom: Right thing on this bike IMO:

Never had any issue with any of their components. Not posers kit.

The stems are an iconic mark of the '90's to me.

Mine do, although I think one of the bike sites sells suitable replacements.

And for those that are critical, things like stems were reasonably innovative BITD, given what tended to be stock. I used them on a couple of bikes, back then, that had T-Bones on, and from what I remember, the Zoom stems were lighter, even accounting for needing a non-integral hanger. And truth be told, I like the look of the silver brushed finish.

The seatposts looked simple, yet reasonable, weight wise - and for all those with the boutique components, how many have failed / cracked / split, compared with Zoom stems and posts that, for me at least, have yet to fail?

High quality, cheap price with a "value" image.
Take a look around here and eBay to say how many Zoom stems have survived, interestingly their seatposts don't appear to be as common yet it's the other way around for Kalloy Uno...

saulus":2ljz5cej said:
Mine also having ori top-cap :cool:
Clipboard42.jpg

Neil":2ljz5cej said:
I used them on a couple of bikes, back then, that had T-Bones on, and from what I remember, the Zoom stems were lighter, even accounting for needing a non-integral hanger.
definitly!
my T-bone weight around 350g or even a bit more, and Zoom as I wrote in this thread will be less than 300g

yagamuffin":2zja3vaj said:
High quality, cheap price with a "value" image.
Take a look around here and eBay to say how many Zoom stems have survived, interestingly their seatposts don't appear to be as common yet it's the other way around for Kalloy Uno...
Uno seat post, inline style are my personal favourite, I wasn't to fussed with the Zoom stuff, though it is nice.
I think Kalloy got it's foot in the door of many rebranded components and OEM stuff.
They had patents on some of the style iirc (bought ird rights etc) you see kalloy around in places you wouldn't expect. A bit like the A-Pro etc built frames of them world.
But this is Zoom (Hsin Lung) did

They go by any other brand names? Or sell to OEM?

I'm dead sure that the stems on my Dawes tandems were Zoom, identical to those above but no sticker IIRC.
I have 2x 120mm in the bits box only because they won't accept an On-One Mary bar. One has top cap.
Say £7 with cap, £5 without (posted)?

+1 Imo they are really well made bits of kit, well priced and they have stood the test of time.

Good to see all the Zoom bits! Far under rated, imo. Mine are a little worn after 20 yrs use. The saddle rail clamps on the seatpost have worn shiny so the bolt has to be done up real tight. Still got all the caps.

Attachments

• groovysclockwork.jpg
    groovysclockwork.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 138
  • groovyzoomseatpost.jpg
    groovyzoomseatpost.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 138
  • groovyzoomstem2.jpg
    groovyzoomstem2.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 138
  • groovyszoomstem.jpg
    groovyszoomstem.jpg