Tushingham B52 17.5"

Whiteyak1

Retro Newbie
Ok confession. First of all I am a kayaker, not really an MTB rider, though I do the odd forestry trail with my daughter when she is home from Uni. So that said, I've found something a bit special at a local auction. The intention was originally to buy my daughter a cheap bike for Uni as it's bound to get nicked. So my wife came home with this beauty!

I realised instantly she'd bought a winner but it's no use for me as I'm 6'2" so I may as well sell it...........or maybe not because we are looking at a piece of UK mountain bike legacy here. All I've done so far is clean it up and dry it off. As far as I can tell only the seat (possibly) the handlebars (definitely) and probably the levers have been changed. I'm not even sure of the levers but I think they are non-original. Everything else is marked as spec sheet. So is it worth selling, or should I just keep a hold, let my daughter use locally when she's home in summer, and appreciate a thing of beauty? You tell me, I'm in the dark.

Nice find :cool: :cool: :cool: . I think it would be a shame to let your daughter use this as a commuter considering the rarity and hence the value of this bike. I'll bet your inbox is already full with cheeky offers :LOL: . Its hard to put a price on it, again due to the rarity, so I'd be putting on that auction site and let the market decide its value. I think you might be pleasantly surprised ;)

Well, you certainly have a bit of UK mountain bike history there, but with regards with what to do with it, that is in your hands.

There are certainly those on this site that would love to own it, but just because it has some heritage why should your daughter not enjoy it. I wouldn't advise sending it to uni, I'm afraid I think it would disappear very quickly, but when she's home for the hols, it would be a lovely machine to ride.

I'll let one of our resident experts know about this thread, see what he advises, but my advice would be, make it safe, give it a service and let your daughter have some fun on it.

What a cutie that is. and near Original and complete too. And I suggest one of the last before the split, given it isn't lugged but tig welded. You will notice the rear seatstay join is also Very different to the earlier models.

A cool Bike. I would say as a guide in the current market, should easily make £300.00....... :cool:

I feel worth £300 given it has the Original stem and is also still wearing its Original paintwork and decals. Finding the correct colour Neon is Not easy sadly, if only it was the Same as the Clockwork and the Formula shade, then life would be so much simpler for refinishing..... :cry:

Brilliant find, amazing what's still out there! Apart from the things you already mentioned, it looks pretty original. See what its like to ride first, and then decide if you want to sell it.

Thanks for all the info and advice guys. I'm feeling almost guilty not really being an enthusiast like you guys and luckily picking up such a bike. I love the enthusiasm on this forum though and I could be tempted to make more of my biking though as I said I spend most of my time on rivers. However if I do decide to sell it I will make sure it goes to a really good home, I think it deserves that. Got to say I'm tempted to keep it just because it's so gorgeous and though I'm not really a collector of anything, I do like the significance of this bike which is really only dawning on me, and to be honest, it cost next to nothing! If anyone wants more pics or whatever I'll be happy to oblige and if anyone knows where there might be a serial number or something to give idea of date when built that would be really useful. Thanks again for all the feedback, really appreciated.

Just a quick pic.

One of three Tushinghams works in progress. This example being one of the early models, Lugged with the U-brake under the chainstay.

Attachments

• 002o8yu9.jpg
    002o8yu9.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 941
Back