can of worms, table 2!

[rant]
My girlfriend is a teacher with a class of 35. She arrives at school before 8am, leaves about 4 or 5pm (like most of us) except the two days a week she has meetings and doesn't leave until at least 7pm.
She spends at least two hours a night working at home and more at the weekend marking and planning.
All of her hard work makes her in to the great teacher she is and she loves every bit of it but without her (one) week break next week (where she will still spend at least one full day if not two or three planning for the next six weeks) she would probably have a breakdown.
I get so pissed off by parents moaning about teachers. At least 6 hours a day, 5 days a week they have their little darlings looked after by someone else and then they moan "oh it's half-term, what am I gonna do with the kids - they drive me mental". My Facebook is full of parents moaning about their kids - how the **** do you think the teachers feel dealing with 35 of the little buggers every day!
[/rant]

yagamuffin":1n6ey9np said:
[rant]
My girlfriend is a teacher with a class of 35. She arrives at school before 8am, leaves about 4 or 5pm (like most of us) except the two days a week she has meetings and doesn't leave until at least 7pm.
She spends at least two hours a night working at home and more at the weekend marking and planning.
All of her hard work makes her in to the great teacher she is and she loves every bit of it but without her (one) week break next week (where she will still spend at least one full day if not two or three planning for the next six weeks) she would probably have a breakdown.
I get so pissed off by parents moaning about teachers. At least 6 hours a day, 5 days a week they have their little darlings looked after by someone else and then they moan "oh it's half-term, what am I gonna do with the kids - they drive me mental". My Facebook is full of parents moaning about their kids - how the f**k do you think the teachers feel dealing with 35 of the little buggers every day!
[/rant]
+1
anyone that thinks that teaching is 6.5 hrs a day over 39 weeks, the rest being free time, is ill informed
Plus the "extra" work is not individual choice for those seeking promotion. These's pressure from departmental teams & the school to tick all the boxes. Poor teacher assessments and exam results mean a rocky year ahead.

Too many parents expect school to be a free childminding facility. Downsize the house, sell the second BMW and one parent can be there for their kids (not in call cases, but most of the vocal ones)

But, I don't feel for them with their pensions being eroded and the lack of pay increases - its happening to all of us, join the club

pigman":2dz2ajfr said:
anyone that thinks that teaching is 6.5 hrs a day over 39 weeks, the rest being free time, is ill informed
Plus the "extra" work is not individual choice for those seeking promotion. These's pressure from departmental teams & the school to tick all the boxes. Poor teacher assessments and exam results mean a rocky year ahead.

Depends on the school. I have family and friends working in state-sector secondary schools and in their case would agree with the above. From personal experience of working in the private secondary sector, however, it's a much cushier number - holidays really are next to work-free for some, and there are other sweeteners such as subsidised housing, etc.

David

Back