Has anyone ever used a Sachs Maillard 8 Speed Freewheel....

Re: Has anyone ever used a Sachs Maillard 8 Speed Freewheel.

Shayne":d3ya03o6 said:
Yes, I've done it lots...with Bullseye hub, Nuke Proof hub, Ringle hub, Sampson hub and Suntour hub. It will fit fine.

I rode those wheels for years without issue and the Ringle and Sampson are still in the stable but haven't been used regularly for years.

FYI, Sachs freewheels come in different cog spacings. Floating derailleur pullies usually make up for this but I had a friend that never could get his shifting acceptable using a Campy spaced freewheel with XT shifters.

Thanks Shayne

So, you've never experienced a busted axle like some of the other posters have done higher up in the thread?

No, I've never broken a hub axle.

Like most things I don't think it was as big an issue as it was made out to be.

There's a list on Sheldon Browns site of freehub widths and cog spacing etc.
It's very usefull.

Run this set up fine no problems, broke an axle once but repeated jumping & 14 stone were probably to blame. Drive side bearing is a lot further from the dropout with a screw on set up so axle is under more strain but normal ridings no problem. If you can break an axle with leg power go buy a power meter! Keep the recess between the smallest cog & axle clean & lubed, All 7 & 8 Speed small cogs are an outrigger set up which will harbour water & crud which destroys the freehub bearings in the end if left unattended.

Thanks for these contributions - appreciated.

Was still wondering if anyone had actually run one of these Sachs Maillard freewheels with a Bullseye type hub and M730 XT Thumbies? I think I've got a good idea now on the liklihood of axle breakage - but it's no good at all if the indexing won't work properly... anyone run this at all?

As I say in the OP, I'm running 7 speed of this set-up right now, and it's pretty flawless.

Back