a piece of art - Avid Arch Supreme with levers

hi
has anyone seen another version of these brakes where the arch
has a more square shape to it? i know i've seen them somewhere
but can't find any pictures or info on them. i used to think the version
i'm talking about were called ultimate. but when i search that all i get is
the newer black ones with no connecting arch.
any info/pictures/links would be appreciated. or anyone with a set wanting to sell? :roll:
thanks for any and all help.
roy

Yidaki":2zmk3b1y said:
You mean the Avid Arch Extreme?

hey thanks. :)
avid arch extreme they are.
here's a comparison picture for the record.
extreme's on the right.
supreme's on the left.
anyone care to give reviews on either.
or which they prefer?
i wouldn't mind putting a set of extreme's on something.
roy

Attachments

• avidsupremeextreme1.jpg
    avidsupremeextreme1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 868
From reading the catalog the Extreme version was used to give better tire clearance.

I was able to pick up a pair of Arch Supremes as a bonus in a random box of bike part. See afew post down.

My guess is that the extreme aren't much different than the supreme in performance, except to give wider clearance for fatter tyres, as the brakes themselves are identical except for the larger square arch, as opposed to the rounded arch. According to this auction, the arches are interchangeable.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/151127628857

Crazy that the arches went for as much as a decent full set of Arch Supreme brakes go for.

Retro_Roy":xzkyjijw said:
Yidaki":xzkyjijw said:
You mean the Avid Arch Extreme?

hey thanks. :)
avid arch extreme they are.
here's a comparison picture for the record.
extreme's on the right.
supreme's on the left.
anyone care to give reviews on either.
or which they prefer?
i wouldn't mind putting a set of extreme's on something.
roy

I think this upper comparison picture is mine ;)
but I won't claim copyright :LOL:

I was lucky enough to get hold of some supremes and extremes a few years ago
They are indeed superb and I d rather say the best v brakes ever manufactured and beautiful as well - form and function at the same time
two tiny issues with these brakes
the springs - you will notice on my pics that the extremes have actually one spring on each side
probably a bit more durable than the complicated one spring of the supremes ( you could probably redo a extreme spring with piano wire - for a supreme that would be extremely difficult)
so they are interchangeable as long as you have the springs for each design
the second issue is the stop of the spring - they were actually in plastic ( they have a thread and are slightly prone to cracking) I had to have some tiny stops machined in aluminium to have my second set working

can't really say if they are very much different in efficiency - as the design is close, I'd say they are equal - but the supremes are better looking :cool:

the supremes sit on my serotta max 853 and the extremes are on a specialized s works steel 1995 ( know its not period stuff but don't care :LOL: )

one of each will go to each of my two sons on my will - :mrgreen: I won't sell ever even in my wheelchair :idea:

Back