The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: The Hi-Fi Chat and sales thread

clockworkgazz":2kgz387r said:
so...... HiFi officionados, I have currently got this cracking sounding marantz player from apache (with techno upgrades a plenty) and to my ears anyroads- very capable mission 702s speakers moving the air and even the denon pma 255uk amp seems like it is more than paying it's way.

The sound really is good but in the back of my mind I was thinking that with a few quid more maybe I could squeeze some more performance out of the set up? My initial thought was a separate DAC but bitd I did try one and could not really notice a great deal of difference? Speaker cables are ok quality, interconnects are cheapo? Or is the amp the weakest link and if so what and how much to get a better sound all round- any suggestions or is this the eternal and never ending quest of the nerdy HiFi freak and I should just leave well alone?

There is not much more that you can do with the existing equipment. A bigger amplifier is always a path if you want to go a bit louder for longer

interconnects and speaker cable can only conduct electricity despite what you read in the Hifi mags unless someones messed with the impedance and so on. And with an off board DAC you would the bypass Apaches hard work.

You could add a sub or two, always fun

I just sold a modified Aiwa bitstream DAC player for an embarrassingly low amount of money. Seems folk just don't trust 1 bit. To be honest, I myself prefer what seems to be a slightly more forward and exciting sound of multi-bit DAC players. The Aiwa sounded glassy and hard when I got it, and now sounds a lot more relaxed (basic clock mods and analogue stage mods) - but not as involving as my Marantz. The multi-bit Marantz players really are a fantastic base to work from.

Not really getting anywhere with the SL-P2000B. Cant get diagrams, and it doesn't bear much resemblance to the KEK version. It did spin the disc briefly the other day though, which gives me some confidence that it's not totally f***ed, and the lens tries to focus. I have a few ideas, but I need to step away to other jobs from time to time or I get frustrated.

The Thorens, I've found some diagrams of that bad boy now. It's a lovely bit of kit. It has an on-board synthetic three phase generator to drive the motor - you know, that thing you pay A LOT extra for on a Linn? Yes, you get it for free on these for a fraction of the mula! So, I'm thinking of moving that board external, and combining it with a custom PSU, all in one box. Will open it up and have a look. Other than that it just needs output cables as the ones on it are shabby - I may just fit decent phono sockets so the user can just fit whatever cables they choose, whether that be sensible or snake-oil ;)

What else? My Quad refurbs and DIY refurb kits are going down a storm. I do the 33, 34, 44 and 405 now, or provide a DIY kit for the 33. Any suggestions for other classics that I may enjoy refurbing welcome.

Enjoying the presentation from the Mission 770s very much still, but note their midrange just doesn't hold a candle to the Celestion 44s which is just sublime ... but man cannot live on midrange alone, and the whole thing hangs together nicer on the Missions, and has a 'drive' missing on the 44s. Oh to have the 44's midrange quality in the 770s. Perfection!

Gazz, if you like what the Marantz does, an external DAC may ruin it. The transport is a minor player in CD player character. If it reads the disc accurately, it's doing about as much as it does. The DAC and analogue stage is where the flavour is.

Panda, you don't seem to be missing the 8000P...

So blutak on servo chips is part of the worlds best mod for CD player? Hmmm... one really has to wonder.

Battery is just lunacy too. Lead-acid batteries tend to be 'noisier' than an even half decent regulated PSU, and if you regulate it, which you *must* if you don't want constant fluctuation in voltage ... what's the point?

Surprised to find my hoarded retro stash still works...! :D

Attachments

• Trio and Sonab.jpg
    Trio and Sonab.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 4,448

Mate of mine had one of those Trios. Around 1980-ish?

Is that a Sonab in the background?

I take that as a compliment - just painted at the weekend in a G-Plan style! Thought the old hifi would add to the mood! Yes - a couple of old Sonabs, although I'm struggling to find some decent quality 2 pin DIN female plugs to cable up.

I doubt you will. They were never designed for the later vogue of ridiculously thick cables. Will they not take some QED 42 strand? That'll be fine if you keep your runs short.

apache":191xktp9 said:
Panda, you don't seem to be missing the 8000P...

I'm not actually - whodathunkit?

I believe the difference was very noticeable when using Mission753s, but the Linn Keilidhs don't seem to need it? Different music. Different mood. A host of possibilities. I will get it fixed though, if only to double check. It's on my to do list :xmas-big-grin:

Back